Harley Davidson Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can have a Charged up Battery and No AMPs/Volts to turn it over.

Put a Multi Meter on the Battery and Hit the Starter. From my experience if the Multi meter shows the Voltage drops to 9.5, 8, or lower the Battery is worthless. Time to buy a New one.
When some one connects a multimeter to the battery and hits the starter watches for a voltage drop,, That is a load test. No need to take it anywhere to have it tested. And yes, if it drops below 10 amps the battery is done.

·
Registered
44,220 Posts
When some one connects a multimeter to the battery and hits the starter watches for a voltage drop,, That is a load test. No need to take it anywhere to have it tested. And yes, if it drops below 10 amps the battery is done.
If you're checking for Amps across the battery terminals, have a spare fuse for the meter on hand. And if your meter doesnt have a fuse, have a spare meter on hand, and hopefully you've learned your lesson not to check for Amps across the battery terminals.

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
If you're checking for Amps across the battery terminals, have a spare fuse for the meter on hand. And if your meter doesnt have a fuse, have a spare meter on hand, and hopefully you've learned your lesson not to check for Amps across the battery terminals.
Smoke test time May have meant voltage dunno ?

Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,158 Posts
Me thinks someone don’t know what they be talking about…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kainam

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Correct, that is a load test, but it won`t work on a bike if the starter circuit is not working correctly, so the first step to take when there is a starter cranking issue is to have the battery load tested on a proper tester.

If the OP would have simply taken the troubleshooting advice given in post #7 he could have saved himself some aggravation.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Some how the replies got switched from voltage to amperage. Not saying that's a proper battery test, just a switch from the original post.

·
Retired citizen
25,388 Posts
I think he'd be going thru some multimeters checking amps across battery terminals ! A bike starter can draw upwards of 80 amps when cranking against the drive train.
OK I'm wrong ! Amps get tested in series not in parallel.

·
Registered
44,220 Posts
I've been doing it for years, decades actually.

Some how the replies got switched from voltage to amperage. Not saying that's a proper battery test, just a switch from the original post.

• Haha
Reactions: 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
FFS the guy obviously made a typo and said amps when he meant volts.

No reason to make a federal case out of it....

Reactions: JLR
21 - 38 of 38 Posts