Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm used to starting in neutral from the previous 4 bikes because they were kick start only.

So I still do it that way with the new bike. I like to let it run for a short while to get the oil circulating before I take off which requires the bike to be in neutral.

Of course that requires the first shift into first which is always a MAJOR KLUNK.

How many start up already in 1st to avoid that clunk? And more importantly (and this question shouldn't have to be asked) is there any damage occurring from that hard clunk into first when starting in neutral?

I'm assuming the trany is built to take it.

·
Registered
12,072 Posts
Joe, my start up routine is same as yours. And I can't answer whether or not the normal "clunk" going into gear will hurt anything over time. But...., try this: Hold the clutch lever in maybe 15-20 seconds BEFORE putting it in gear. No clunk.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for responding.

I use +P in the clutch and shock proof in the trany

Sometimes the downshift from 2nd is quiet and I'm sure you all have noticed similar. I usually, but not always, hold the clutch even when in neutral when starting because that tends to reduce the load on the starter.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Funny you ask this one.
All my years, unless parked on some degree of hill, have I ever left any of my bikes in gear.
Last year I took a free highway patrol sponsored advanced MC riders safety course and one of the first things mentioned was ALWAYS park your bike in first.. Hummmmm,,,,
I can see them doing this as they might need to jump on and go but for the average person,, naw..

As for the "clunk" going into first, got to agree that after a time for warming up, hold the clutch in for a few then drop right into gear..

Start, clutch, drop in gear and even my old shovelhead will "clunk" to a degree.

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Joe, my start up routine is same as yours. And I can't answer whether or not the normal "clunk" going into gear will hurt anything over time. But...., try this: Hold the clutch lever in maybe 15-20 seconds BEFORE putting it in gear. No clunk.
Copy that. May also rev engine up a bit then let it idle back down just before putting it in gear. Believe it helps break the clutch plates free of hyd drag especially when cold. Good Luck :bikerguy:

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I would not think the klunk could hurt anything. The gears are coming together but there is less torque shifting into first then there is letting the clutch out in first, second and so on.
I usually start the bike in neutral since it is a little easier on the starter.
Your bike would be disappointed in you thinking it was a big sissy.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:)

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
That was a puny klunk. . . .. more of a "click" but the discussion seemed OK with what we're discussing.
I agree with you. That was not a klunk.
My bikes transmission would laugh at that klunk.:)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Not that it matters but my owner's manual says to start in neutral.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
That was a puny klunk. . . .. more of a "click" but the discussion seemed OK with what we're discussing.
Dare I say it sounded like a :eek Jap Bike :eek

1 - 13 of 13 Posts