Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed the battery on my 2014 breakout. After changing battery it started then shut down in seconds. Restarted it, was able to keep it running but it's running extremely rich. I've checked for codes on the bike, but it shows none. After warm up it will run without holding throttle but still runs extremely rich.

·
Senior Flatulant
908 Posts
Welcome from PA!

Do you have an owner's manual?

I have read that some models require a "reboot" anytime the electrics have been disconnected.

Perhaps, one of our more knowledgeable members will chime in.

Cheers,
Smoketown.

PS ... We like pictures!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry, i'm no help with the "problem"... Just had to say that's a Sweet lookin' Ride! That color is bad azz! (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They also made it in a color they call Black Gold Flake. I've got a couple dents in the tank and once I fix those I'm going to combine the two colors in a three to one ratio, chrome over gold.

·
Retired citizen
22,280 Posts
Remove the maxi-fuse for a couple minutes, that'll reboot the ECM.
Also if the bike has security check the battery in the FOB, that probably doesn't have anything to do with it but just saying.

·
TurboViking
21 Posts
Welcome from PA!

Do you have an owner's manual?

I have read that some models require a "reboot" anytime the electrics have been disconnected.

Perhaps, one of our more knowledgeable members will chime in.

Cheers,
Smoketown.

PS ... We like pictures!!
I just downloaded an owners manual. Haven't had time to read it yet View attachment 781798
Could be you were off battery long enough for the fuel trim to lose memory. Will come back after a few hours of riding. Troy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Took breather off, cleaned out throttle body, change throttle position sensor, rode for about 30 minutes. Seems to have straightened out the issue, although still running a little rich.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently changed the battery on my 2014 breakout. After changing battery it started then shut down in seconds. Restarted it, was able to keep it running but it's running extremely rich. I've checked for codes on the bike, but it shows none. After warm up it will run without holding throttle but still runs extremely rich.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If all you did was replace the battery, then I suspect your fuel map has been reset to factory. If you have done a stage 1 or more since you bought it or previous owner did, then your map had to be flashed to change your fuel to air mixture to match the customization using a dyno or road tuner. The factory map is non-volitile and is store in the ECU forever but when re-mapped the new map is stored in volatile memory an could be cleared. Do you remember if you shorted the battery terminals when changing the battery? That can produce strange problems if you failed to remove the main fuse. That will protect you bike and should be done prior to any electronics work. It will take a shop or fuel management device to recover your correct map or a retune if this is the case. Best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Removed the fuse before removing battery, didnt short the terminals, no staging has been done, only a forward facing heavy breather. When I removed the breather, cleaned the throttle body, and changed the sensor, there was moister in the sensor from riding in the rain without a rain sock on the filter. Once I did all that, its straightened up. No longer shutting off seconds after starting, the running rich is going away as well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts