Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, while at the Sturgis Rally, I had the stator and voltage regulator go bad on my Softail Heritage Classic. I had to have them both replaced. What could cause this problem? I would like to understand why it happened so if it's something I did, it won't happen again.

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
I generally get 30k to 60k out of a stator/regulator. It's nothing you did. Best thing you can do is check the connection between the stator and regulator is clean and tight at each oil change.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
It's fairly common for the failure of one to kill the other. Even if one component appears to have lived, it is likely damaged and has had it's life shortened. That's why you typically change both when you have issues.

·
Registered
12,954 Posts
I generally get 30k to 60k out of a stator/regulator. It's nothing you did. Best thing you can do is check the connection between the stator and regulator is clean and tight at each oil change.
Is that something relating to style of bike, Touring vs Softail with less power needs?

·
Registered
363 Posts
my 03 softail goes 25-35,000 miles now at 108,000 mostly staters 1 reg. and 1 hub( spun the spline), my 07 rg has original stater 1 reg and 104,000 miles and don't ask me why because softail has way less stuff

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts
Hadn't given the mileage thing much thought. Closing in on 50K with mine, so I guess I need to be watching for signs of impending failure.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,966 Posts

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
Is that something relating to style of bike, Touring vs Softail with less power needs?
I have no idea. I am pushing 40k on the Dyna and no issues yet. On the old FLHT I was replacing them about 30k to 50k. Had the hi-output charging system and the stereo blasting all the time.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Pushing 210,000 miles on my 2002 Road King and never had a stator or regulator failure.

Reactions: Silverback

·
Older Than Dirt
47 Posts
Not sure what year bike you have, but my '12 FLSTC V/R was on a recall list (according to V/R ser.#).
Local HD dealer "looked into it" and told me the V/R was fine (didn't get back to me prior
to the recall expiration date, so, basically, didn't want to deal with it!).
Started having random, intermittent problems, so took it to an independent shop
to have them troubleshoot the V/R and stator. Stator was fine, but the V/R was toast,
just like I knew it would be. $300. Thanks, HD, for NOTHING !!
They installed a Cycle Electrics V/R......No problems since then.
I'm at about 8K miles now. This all happened with about 4k mi. on the bike.
BAD PARTS!!
Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts