Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my stator puts out 41 volts ac at 2000 rpm but shows 0.1 ohms on ground test...whats up with that...i thought if the stator failed the ground test it would not work? this is on a 2000 dwg. I am trying to diagnose a charging problem. I am thinking it is the reg/rect but dont want to buy a new one and have it fry if the stator is bad also.

·
Retired citizen
23,470 Posts
The stator can still supply volts if grounded, not when open. What does the stator measure between pins ?
If the primary cover has an inspection cover remove it and take a smell in the hole. If it smells burnt the stator needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the stator check for grounded stator tested 0.0 on one terminal and 0.1 on the other terminal. stator resistance was 0.1 The ac output check read 41 ac volts. i can not do the total current draw test because i do not have a battery load tester. when the bike is running at 2000 rpm the most voltage the battery shows is 12.51 volts dc. with all that said how do you test the voltage regulator, the shop manual says to use a test light to do the regulator bleed test, but i dont understand how that tells you if the reg is bad. I have the factory service manual but am limited with the tools to perform some of the tests.

·
Banned
71 Posts
the stator check for grounded stator tested 0.0 on one terminal and 0.1 on the other terminal. stator resistance was 0.1 The ac output check read 41 ac volts. i can not do the total current draw test because i do not have a battery load tester. when the bike is running at 2000 rpm the most voltage the battery shows is 12.51 volts dc. with all that said how do you test the voltage regulator, the shop manual says to use a test light to do the regulator bleed test, but i dont understand how that tells you if the reg is bad. I have the factory service manual but am limited with the tools to perform some of the tests.
Rather than just cut&paste go here : http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/electrical/23477-dyna-charging-issue.html

Search is your friend !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:coffee:

·
Retired citizen
23,470 Posts
The bleed test with the test light just indicates good or bad diodes. Diodes only allow current flow in one direction. If the test light lights a diode is allowing current to flow from the battery back to the stator which will eventually drain the battery when the engine isn't running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts