Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning my check engine light & battery light came on. By the time I pulled into work the lights were dim and the engine died. After getting towed to the house I was in the process of changing out the regulator since I had a spare one. When I unplugged the connector coming from the STATOR oil poured out of it. I may have over filled the primary the last time I changed the oil so not sure if this is the case. Anyway I cleaned out the oil with contact cleaner and put dielectric in the connection, jump started with my truck. I'm getting around 13.9 engine revved up. Took it for a spin, no problems, no fault lights & no codes. I did take the primary inspection cover off and oil drained out. Is it possible I just over filled it by mistake & created this issue or is it a sign of a failing STATOR? The oil don't have that pungent smell. Any thoughts?
:bikerguy:

·
Banned
71 Posts
On my way to work this morning my check engine light & battery light came on. By the time I pulled into work the lights were dim and the engine died. After getting towed to the house I was in the process of changing out the regulator since I had a spare one. When I unplugged the connector coming from the STATOR oil poured out of it. I may have over filled the primary the last time I changed the oil so not sure if this is the case. Anyway I cleaned out the oil with contact cleaner and put dielectric in the connection, jump started with my truck. I'm getting around 13.9 engine revved up. Took it for a spin, no problems, no fault lights & no codes. I did take the primary inspection cover off and oil drained out. Is it possible I just over filled it by mistake & created this issue or is it a sign of a failing STATOR? The oil don't have that pungent smell. Any thoughts?
:bikerguy:
Oil can work as an insulator . Run it some and see how it works now . :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, just put everything all back together like normal, bike started, got one block & check engine & battery light back on again.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,965 Posts
Just one possibility that comes to mind based on your description. Dielectric grease is an INSULATOR. Seems a lot of folks use it on electrical connections, and it is not for surfaces that are supposed to conduct electrical current. It is possible that your use of it may be the culprit. Clean that connection and try a high conductive lubricant.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,965 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Kiss method.
Check connections, check where ever your model meets the battery or circuit breaker.
Dont be scared to clean all connections .
The fact that it is intermittent would indicate a bad connection. A bad stator will not work then work, then not work..

they are either dead or alive .

·
Registered
632 Posts
if you jump started you only got a suffice charge in battery, You need to fully charge and load test battery before doing any further tests, battery may have shorted plates.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe I put too much dielectric grease in connector, caused an air pocket an didn't let the connectors lock all the way. Cleaned out & blew out grease took for a spin, no codes or check engine, battery light. Something i'll have to keep an eye on. Thanks for everyone input. Between the free towing and experience with STATOR problems, probably saved several hundred dollars that the dealership would have love to have had, thanks again.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,965 Posts
Glad it was one of those easy fixes. Wish they all were.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts