Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long or how many miles do you get on a stator / regulator?
I know it has probably been discussed many times.
Mine is 15 years old. (1994 FLHR)It was replaced in 2ooo
I am going on a long road trip...A stator is tough to replace along the shoulder of the road...
Should I replace it or gamble it?
I think it has about 30K on it along with the 15 years.
Your answer is?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Test the charging system... Why guess

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Open up the inspection cover on the primary and take a whiff, if it smells burnt I would think about replacing prior to your trip.
Otherwise follow misinlink's suggestion.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Original rotor/stator on my '92 Dyna Glide with 70,000 miles. Making sure the voltage regulator connections are clean and tight along with a good battery helps life, IMO. I have replaced the voltage regulator 3 times.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
76K+ on my '04 Road King. Replaced the V.Reg a little over a year ago and have a high quality battery less than a year ago. Charging specs test out perfect.

--

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The charging system is fine.
I jst do not want a break dwn....

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
The charging system is fine.
I jst do not want a break dwn....
One of the problems with Evo stator problems is the voltage regulator connection at the front of the inner primary. They have a tendency to get loose as the rubber hardens with age. There were many small clips sold to hold the connector tight. I shaved about 1/16" off the top of the case plug so the VR connector could go in further.

harley evo voltage reg. stator retainer | eBay

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
you cant out fix problems- you fix the stator for no real reason i guarantee something else will break-murphys law

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
One of the problems with Evo stator problems is the voltage regulator connection at the front of the inner primary. They have a tendency to get loose as the rubber hardens with age. There were many small clips sold to hold the connector tight. I shaved about 1/16" off the top of the case plug so the VR connector could go in further.

harley evo voltage reg. stator retainer | eBay
:thumb Ran an earlier Evo version of one on my Shovel. After the plug had already worked itself loose and the regulator actually went up in flames. :(

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After much constipation and consternation I am going to replace it .
I can fix a lot of crap on the road even a stator, BUT i dont want to...

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
If you're doing it preventatively, replace the v/reg. too. I recommend checking out Cycle Electrics products. IMO, they are more robust than OE. And double-check your battery cable connections on both ends.

--

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I am going to do that.
But thanx for a reminder .
I HATE being bent over in the dirt working on a bike..in the hot sun..traffic going past...
A busted stator could ruin a day...

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
After much constipation and consternation I am going to replace it .
I can fix a lot of crap on the road even a stator, BUT i dont want to...

Interesting... You carry everything to do this job on the side of the road?

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Probably..Maybe i would have to buy a whatsit fuzzit....
They are not that hard to do up on a stand...sucks beside the road.
I can only imagine it quitting on a trip, and going to a bike shop!
I bet it would be 3 or 4 days wait and 5 to 600 bucks.
If i had to buy a tool it would be cheaper ....then waiting .

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
Interesting... You carry everything to do this job on the side of the road?
I want to see what he breaks the compensator nut loose with that he can carry on a bike!

My '95 EVO went thru them about every 30k. My '97 EVO wiht a new off-the-shelf motor has 40k and is still putting out great (knock on wood).

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You do not think a 2 foot breaker bar will do it, with a 2 foot piece of pipe?
i will let you know- I am going to do it out here in my solar shop .( no roof)But has a lift.
I do have a big air compressor, and a one inch gun,
but I do not like banging on the rod and main bearings that much.
I promise you the truthful results.
IF i did not do this B4 the trip I was going to carry the pipe strapped to one frame dwn tube
and the pipe on the other.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Again... You stated carry and roadside! Gaskets, fluid, tools would take space... Never mind 2' of pipe and a 2' breaker bar. Do you have extended saddle bags???
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1436882679.093143.jpg

·
Banned
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Primary gakt afaik is reusable..and if not would get another one...Like I said- i dont want to have to change it on the road, I am out the door to do it right now.
If you want to contest if it can be done on the side of the road, i have done far worse or better...depends how you look at it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts