Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Fatboy 2011. Maintenance schedule says every 10k miles to adjust and lubricate the steering head bearings .
Why is adjustment needed if no issue?
What grease is required? Harley says " special purpose grease"
Is it really special grease or just normal bearings grease?

Thanks,

·
Retired citizen
24,103 Posts
Check and adjust as needed.
The special grease has more cling than wheel bearing grease and is more water resistant.

·
AZ Daily Rider
60 Posts
The issue that might arise is that you might not have the proper clearances with the bearing and it's race. Even though everything might feel OK the fall away adjustment might still be needed. As i witnessed with my Fat Bob once there is a slight adjustment needed it can get worse very quickly. Over a period of time the grease breaks down and does not function properly. The Manufacture will always recommend their products to be used to complete service hence the H.D. special purpose grease, I personally use Royal Purple products and have been using them for years. Performing the specified maintenance at the times required in the service manual will help to ensure your bike last longer and definitely will be safer for you.

·
Fatboy2011
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The issue that might arise is that you might not have the proper clearances with the bearing and it's race. Even though everything might feel OK the fall away adjustment might still be needed. As i witnessed with my Fat Bob once there is a slight adjustment needed it can get worse very quickly. Over a period of time the grease breaks down and does not function properly. The Manufacture will always recommend their products to be used to complete service hence the H.D. special purpose grease, I personally use Royal Purple products and have been using them for years. Performing the specified maintenance at the times required in the service manual will help to ensure your bike last longer and definitely will be safer for you.
Thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts