Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hay ya all with pre 2006 haritage, how much bearing pre-load do you put on steering stem bearings, have read everything from 0 ft lbs to 40 ft lbs just wondered how most of you all set yours up ?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
There is a procedure in the Harley service manual for adjusting the steering head bearings. It is not a torque value.

·
Retired citizen
23,670 Posts
Correct, the fork neck bearing preload is set using the fall away adjustment procedure.

·
Read Only
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is it really necessary to go thru all the hassle of that fall-away method ? What happened to old school wrench’n ! ! ! The local h-d dealer told me they come from factory at 7 to 10 ft lbs & that’s where they set them, (for what’s its worth as ya know from a lot of the dealerships)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Not sure if this will help . . .

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Road Junkie
1,957 Posts
Is it really necessary to go thru all the hassle of that fall-away method ? What happened to old school wrench’n ! ! ! The local h-d dealer told me they come from factory at 7 to 10 ft lbs & that’s where they set them, (for what’s its worth as ya know from a lot of the dealerships)
No, it’s not. It’s your bike and you can wrench it however you want.

But I will add that both my 2014 Ultra Limited and 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra had to be tightened up before hitting 10K miles, as they had developed a dangerous wobble in the steering. The factory setting was not sufficient.

But you do what you think is right.

P.S. If @SCHMIDTY gives you technical advice, you can take it to the bank.

·
weird member
2,444 Posts
It's not like a fall-away test is all that hard to do anyway. The hardest part is finding something you can use to set up a pointer.

Reactions: WiSeNhEiMeR

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Is it really necessary to go thru all the hassle of that fall-away method ? What happened to old school wrench’n !
Old School Wrenchin....what do you think that is?

When I think of an old school wrench, I think of a guy who has been a wrench for a long time, doing the job correctly...

You either do it the right way, or the hack way, your choice.

The fall away method as written in the FSM is a time tested method, and has been used for decades.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Front End wobble at highway speeds is going to make for a bad day!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts