Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my introduction i described the problem i was having with my 2002 xl1200c. I was riding one day and it just quit going, engine runs fine but no power to back tire, since it sat in storage for so long i thought the old oil messed up the friction pads on the clutch so i tore into the primary, everything looked great and new. The clutch disc showed no wear as well as the spring plate, bike only has 10,000 miles on it. Well today i finished replacing the clutch pack and putting new gaskets and such, adjusted everything to factory specs. I cranked it up and let her warm up, pulled in the clutch and no clunk when i put it in gear, no go either, can let clutch out and nothing nada no difference. Anybody have any ideas ? btw when i had to clutch disc out i had the bike in 5th gear and could turn the basket and make the rear wheel spin.

·
2015 Road Glide S
38 Posts
Clutch way out of adjustment... Is the shift linkage binding, also have you tried clicking up in to second gear?

·
2015 Road Glide S
38 Posts
with the motor off, put it in gear and push it.. If it locks up that means your clutch is way out of adjustment. If it rolls while in gear then the trans is not engaging.

·
2015 Road Glide S
38 Posts
If that screw is tight you're not disengaging the clutch. The screw and locknut should be set before the slack is taken up at the clutch lever. I think you're close.

·
2015 Road Glide S
38 Posts
Some other issues can be if misadjusted the component called the ball and ramp that engages and disengages the transmission can become over extended and not function correctly when you pull the lever. Typically this issue leaves the clutch disengaged until you take apart the clutch cable cover on the tranny and repair it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
when i put in the clutch pack i had the clutch cable way slacked, i put it all back together and and turned in the adjusting screw till i felt resistance then backed of 1/4 turn, put the nut and spring back on and cover, then i adjusted the cable to specs, i put a dime at the ferrel and adjusted the cable to just touch that.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Although I don't have a sportster I'll start the stupid questions. Are you sure the primary chain is driving the clutch? If you start it without the cover can you see the clutch basket spin? Does the pressure plate spin.

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Yea. And when the clutch is pulled (engaged) the center should stop. That is the pressure plate. It should move outwards.

Dislaimer- While I have worked on a shit load of clutches in my time I've never touched an HD clutch. But I've looked at the parts diagram and they seem similar enough for me to feel comfortable with engaging in this. What made me think this, and maybe others can comment on this as well, is you said you could spin the clutch basket and spin the rear tire. When you spin the basket you should be spinning the engine crank shaft as well. That should not be easy to do on an HD.

Again, unless I'm totally off here. Maybe someone can chime in that has some hands on HD experience.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Although some information is missing here I would ask If there is no clunk when shifting into first then how did you get it into 5th gear? Is there a 2nd 3rd and 4th gear? Try shifting it at the shift shaft with the shifter lever disengaged from it. If it shifts right then the bushings may be worn out in the shifter lever. Do you have forward controls or mid section controls?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have forward controls, yes the clunk is missing. I can shift by hand and hear light clickage and spin the rear tire and feel some resistance-turning the gears but the clutch basket does not move, i cranked it for a few seconds and seen that the primary chain does spin and the clutch basket does spin, just not transferring power to rear wheel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when i had it apart i could grab the inner hub fingers and spin it and the rear wheel would spin, i tried all the gears. Now that i have everything together i can put it in gear and spin the rear tire and nothing moves lol.

This all started when i was taking off from a stop light, when in about third gear i noticied the motor reving but no power to rear, if i let off the throttle completely then i could feel it slightly tugging but give it any gas and nothing. The bike only has 10800 miles on it, guess i replaced the clutch for nothing but it needed some gaskets lol

·
Banned
1,357 Posts
Okay, so the primary chain is spinning the clutch basket. That leads us to two things. The drive belt to the rear wheel (or sprocket if so equipped) or the clutch.

You said "Now that i have everything together i can put it in gear and spin the rear tire and nothing moves lol."

Are you rolling the bike with the cover off or do you have it on a stand?

To eliminate the clutch as a variable, you can start the bike with the clutch cover off and in nuetral. Pull the clutch lever in and put it in gear. The center part of the clutch should stop moving if the rear wheel is not moving. Let out the clutch and the center part should spin. If it does and the bike is still not moving, then you have an issue with the tranny or the drive belt tot he rear wheel.

If it is a belt to the rear wheel, check the condition of the cogs on the belt.

But with what you described as the initial symptom I'm thinking the issue is in the clutch.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts