Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
FXSTI
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new, so if I am asking something old, please be kind - just help m in the right direction...

My Softtail Std is stock, as far as the engine goes. I have the stock pipes of course. I want some pipes that sound really good, but not the kind that are so loud the neighborhood hears them miles away. I just want some louder pipes. So, any recommendations? I'm sure the bike will need to be tuned, can I do this myself? Should I? I've tuned a Mustang and a Truck so tuning isn't a new thing to me, just never even contemplated it for my bike much. So, what tuner? I cringe at having anyone work on my stuff, I've rebuild 2 classic Mustangs and do not like having someone else work on my garage sweeties. Also, is the muffler replacement something that is feasible to do it yourself?

My motor is completely stock.... no mods so far.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
I'm new, so if I am asking something old, please be kind - just help m in the right direction...

My Softtail Std is stock, as far as the engine goes. I have the stock pipes of course. I want some pipes that sound really good, but not the kind that are so loud the neighborhood hears them miles away. I just want some louder pipes. So, any recommendations? I'm sure the bike will need to be tuned, can I do this myself? Should I? I've tuned a Mustang and a Truck so tuning isn't a new thing to me, just never even contemplated it for my bike much. So, what tuner? I cringe at having anyone work on my stuff, I've rebuild 2 classic Mustangs and do not like having someone else work on my garage sweeties. Also, is the muffler replacement something that is feasible to do it yourself?

My motor is completely stock.... no mods so far.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this question gets asked a lot. Maybe try searching a bit first. At least let us know you tried looking for answers yourself first, and what you've found.

·
Was Briefly First
1,753 Posts
I did search and came up with nothing for an 03 FXSTI.
I'm quite sure you won't find one magic thread with exactly your make and model and everything you want to know. That wasn't my point.

As in many things in life, around here you will get back what you put in. We see lots of what we call "one and done" around here. People who show up, ask one question, and are never seen again. Nobody knows if they followed, or even read, the replies they got. It's frustrating and tedious after a while. But there are some of the most knowledgeable, helpful, and generous people here that you will ever have the good fortune to know, if you stick around and put in the effort to get to know them.

There are hundreds of threads on exhaust for various models and years to look at. It will take time, and it will take effort, but it will be enormously beneficial to you to read through a bunch of them. Or you can continue to hope someone will spoon feed you exactly what you want to know.

Read. Research. Learn. Get back to us.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Way to scare him away, B. :laugh

·
FXSTI
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nope... searched the exhaust forum for 88ci motor and got 2 threads... mine and another that was not very helpful. I'll "research" elsewhere. maybe somewhere not so angry and dark.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Nope... searched the exhaust forum for 88ci motor and got 2 threads... mine and another that was not very helpful. I'll "research" elsewhere. maybe somewhere not so angry and dark.

We're just kidding around, man. There is a ton on the topic here. Most of the mods you're asking about aren't specific to one motor size. I think if you search more general terms you'll find more than you'll care to read.

Reactions: 03SoftailStd

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts

But, you've got Mister B pegged. He is angry and dark as eff.

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
If I had feelings they would be hurt also.
We never even got a chance to inform him about the benefits of dryer vents in the garage or which is better Dunlops or Michelins or even why black scooters are faster than any other color.

I think that we need to go to sensivity classes.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I sure would hate to be a newbie in these times of civil unrest.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the same bike and it had V&H straight shots (I think) pipes on it when I bought it, they were loud but I like louder pipes. You may want to just look for a set of slip ons for the stock pipes, they will give you more sound without getting too loud.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, I guess I chime in with my own experience and say that the search feature for previous forum posts does leave a lot to be desired. It really doesn’t function very well with phrases and unless you hit upon a specific key word, you are out of luck.

That being said I would go and check out the offering on Vance & Hines and Rinehart’s websites and see what offerings they have. Also, what sound level you are looking for is really subjective, so maybe head out to a bar night or something and get a chance to hear and see some other guys pipes.

·
FXSTI
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you gents for the positive feedback. Ya had me worried. I'll look into the slip ons, that sounds like a great idea, hopefully cheaper too (although this IS a Harley).
I'm off to the Vance & Hines and Rinehart's websites, thank you!

No need for sensitivity classes, but that was a bit much on the front end....

·
Banned
71 Posts
Thank you gents for the positive feedback. Ya had me worried. I'll look into the slip ons, that sounds like a great idea, hopefully cheaper too (although this IS a Harley).
I'm off to the Vance & Hines and Rinehart's websites, thank you!

No need for sensitivity classes, but that was a bit much on the front end....
We like to break the newbies in right. :fitz :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 30 Posts