Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me the eye-to-eye length of the stock rear shock on the 883N/Iron vs. the HD Comfort Flex? I'm told the Comfort Flex shock is no longer offered. I will probably go with Progressive now, but I want to compare lengths and raise the bike a bit. Thanks! :biker:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Comfort flex is no longer available. If you have stock shocks on your iron you can take a tape measure and measure that. They are probably 11 or 11.5 inches since the iron is normally a little lower than traditional sportsters.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply. As you can see in my post, I know the CF stock is no longer available. What I really want to know is WHAT WAS the eye-to-eye measurement of the Comfort Flex shock? I want to use that for comparison to Aftermarket shock options. I don't have access to my bike - winter storage - and I want to know how high the CF shock WOULD have raised my bike. Thanks again...

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Well per the google search I just did, stock 883 iron is 11 inches. The CF's were 13.

What are you wanting? Softer ride? A taller bike? Just know that raising your bike will affect the ride a bit. When I switch from 12" shocks to the 10.5" slammers that I have, it changed the ride. It rides better, handles better, and looks better. I only ride one up and I ride a sporty, not a sofa glide, so having a slightly tougher ride is good with me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I put 12" Progressive's on my wife's Iron, which had 11" from the
factory It only raised the seat by 1/2" and She likes the ride better now.
It's also much better if we have to ride 2 up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to both of you for the information, and for taking the time to answer! Yes, I know shock height will affect the handling and I don't plan on going TOO crazy. If you have access to the HD 2014 accessories catalog (or, if you look at the 2014 bikes on HD's website), you'll see an 883 Iron in Sand denim that's been customized with HD parts, including the no-longer-available CF shocks. That's the look I'm going for - more of a Café style bike. I also want a little more shock travel than what the short, stock shocks provide. I'm about 185, and I went over an uneven piece of highway with the slammed shocks, and didn't like the 'slam' I took up the spine. Nothing injury causing, BUT definitely uncomfortable. Hence, the desire for a longer shock and a bit more comfortable ride. Thinking Progressive, just need to choose one. Thanks again! I appreciate it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts