Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gearing up to repaint my front and rear fenders to match a 2001 heritage tank. I have the paint, but I'm curious of the stripes that are on the tank. On this one, it's luxury blue with lighter blue stripes. Are these stripes paint, or are they decals? These stripes are the same strips that are on almost all tanks and fenders FYI.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It is likely they are decals. If I were doing a new paint job, I would have someone stripe it for me in paint. Will look better and last longer.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Everything I have read is that the stripes are hand painted on at the factory with the aid of a template (stencil). Then clear coated with the rest of the tin.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My issue is that I am painting the fenders, and don't want to pay for pin striping. It seems that they are decals as the stripes are raised higher slightly than the rest of the paint. Any ideas on how to find the right color though? I've never seen a repository or listing of that.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I understand you not wanting to pay extra. I can't tell you where to find the right color decals. When you do, you may want to compare the cost of decals + installation vs the cost of pinstriping. Pinstriping, IMO, could be cheaper. Pinstriping is a pie job for a good painter. Decals will raise up slightly under the clearcoat.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good call. I know just the simple striping shouldn't cost much. I don't want or need anything fancy, just for the fenders to match the tank. Pinstriping tape is super cheap, but haven't found anything close to the color I need though. I'll take some pictures of the tank tonight and post to give an idea.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
pretty sure they are paint stripes- i remember hearing harley doesnt use stickers on tanks-they paint everything and hand stripe

·
Banned
71 Posts
Good call. I know just the simple striping shouldn't cost much. I don't want or need anything fancy, just for the fenders to match the tank. Pinstriping tape is super cheap, but haven't found anything close to the color I need though. I'll take some pictures of the tank tonight and post to give an idea.
The pin striping is paint, you can get it at the Dealers for 20 bucks . :)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
A stripe of paint on paint will be higher than the paint, and look raised under the clear paint. :what?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff guys and thank you all for the help. I'll check around for the striping and either do it myself or have it done depending on the price. Either way, it's a stripe and it's not rocket science. I'm looking forward to getting it done and on the road. Been in the 60's this week here in DFW; all my buddies are riding and I'm not since the bike's not put together.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pretty sure they are paint stripes- i remember hearing harley doesnt use stickers on tanks-they paint everything and hand stripe
One thing I do know for sure is the logos are most often decals; because you can buy those and reinstall. Some models, the logos are painted on but others have decals.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any idea on how to find the color used for the pinstriping? The picture attached is not the tank I have, but is the same exact color scheme, as far as the main blue and the pin stripes. Dealer didn't have any clue as it's not listed.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just in case anyone cares, found the paint for the pinstripes. It's not really given a paint code the same as the main base coat colors. Only way to buy it is paying $35 / touch up vial. Yes, I said Vial. It comes in a nail polish type bottle. In order to do a dual strip on front and rear fenders I'll have to buy several vials. To me, it ain't worth it. Instead, I'm looking pinstripe decals that will be close in color to put my own spin on it.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Just in case anyone cares, found the paint for the pinstripes. It's not really given a paint code the same as the main base coat colors. Only way to buy it is paying $35 / touch up vial. Yes, I said Vial. It comes in a nail polish type bottle. In order to do a dual strip on front and rear fenders I'll have to buy several vials. To me, it ain't worth it. Instead, I'm looking pinstripe decals that will be close in color to put my own spin on it.
Take a "vial", to the PPG paint store and they can match you a pint of paint . :thumb :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know that's an option but $35 for the vial, probably a solid $50ish for the pint, then paying to have them done. That puts this a bit more than what I wanted to spend. I'll keep searching around for now. I'm not in a big rush to get this project done.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I know that's an option but $35 for the vial, probably a solid $50ish for the pint, then paying to have them done. That puts this a bit more than what I wanted to spend. I'll keep searching around for now. I'm not in a big rush to get this project done.
Most of the shops who use PPG paint can match the color if you were to bring them a sample piece, like a side panel .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts