Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, looking for some assistance. I am going to buy straight shots for my wife's 2013 883 superlow for her bday.
First question, do I need to change the mapping on the bike after the installation.
Second question, if so, is there free software available to do this with maps etc. I own a Triumph Rocket 111T, we use TuneECU, which after some software downloads, plugs into the bike, and is pretty easy to load and unload different maps. Is this available for the sportster? Thanks.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
I think you'll get a lot of different answers to your question. Personally I don't think you need to remap if you're just doing the exhaust. I was told by a reputable mechanic that if you do both exhaust and air kit then you'll need to remap, but not just exhaust. I could be off on this, but I think the bikes ECM will adjust automatically. I would see how the bike runs after you install the new pipes. If you don't get any deceleration pop I think the bike will be fine. I'm sure some will disagree with me and say you have to remap.
As far as your other question I've never heard of using that software to remap a Sportster. Personally when I did my exhaust I also did the air kit and used the Vance & Hines FP3 to remap. It works in conjunction with your smartphone to download maps and then upload to the bikes ECM. It can also stay attached to the bikes ECM and you can view engine stats on your phone... it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2015 XL1200C and added the Vance & Hines 3" Round Twin Slash slip-ons and my bike ran real bad at times the dealer recommend adding a high air flow filter and remapping the bike with the Screaming Eagle tuner. well at $259 for the tuner and $450 for the dyno that was not an option. I got the Screaming Eagle air cleaner and the Vance & Hines FP3 and did it my self and I am very happy now. gusa39 is correct the FP3 has a lot of positives like being able to see the engine stats and any error codes coming from the bike. You can revert you map back to the factory map if needed. The FP3 was a lot easier to use than I ever expected and I highly recommend it if it will work on your bike. Just remember it marries to your bike after the first remap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. The Tune ecu software works for Triumph,KTM,Ducati and a couple other European bikes. I have no need to upgrade air filters, she just wants the sound changed from the stock setup. Same as what you are describing, I use a laptop, very easy, click and drag maps, see what the entire engine is doing, and can adjust it all. I'll try just the exhaust, if it works, great, if not I'll look into the V&H FP3.

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Thanks for the info. The Tune ecu software works for Triumph,KTM,Ducati and a couple other European bikes. I have no need to upgrade air filters, she just wants the sound changed from the stock setup. Same as what you are describing, I use a laptop, very easy, click and drag maps, see what the entire engine is doing, and can adjust it all. I'll try just the exhaust, if it works, great, if not I'll look into the V&H FP3.
A friend of mine threw on a pair of slip-ons on his Sporty because he too wanted better sound. It was inexpensive and he didn't remap. His bike runs and sounds great.

·
Registered
476 Posts
HD mechanic told me not to remap it. Most likely not necessary if only changing the exhaust. He said install them and try it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I put the V&H Straight Shots on my Sportster 72 and it ran fine without doing a remap. I did notice some decel pop but I'm guessing it's pop that was already there just more noticeable with the reduced amount of baffling. I eventually added a SE intake and had the dealer remap. More power and better throttle response but still some slight decel pop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ended up going with a set of screaming eagle slip-ons, looked a little closer, and realized the heat shields apparently wouldn't be transerable to the pipes I was looking at. The cost ended up being cheaper, no remap required, has a nice, full note to it, so I can keep letting her lead. SHE IS HAPPY, and we all know that's all that matters, thanks all.

·
Registered
526 Posts
HD mechanic told me not to remap it. Most likely not necessary if only changing the exhaust. He said install them and try it.
This would be my advice. Install the exhaust and if the bike runs fine leave it alone. You may notice some decel popping, which may hwve been there already but unnoticed, but the real issue is performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This would be my advice. Install the exhaust and if the bike runs fine leave it alone. You may notice some decel popping, which may hwve been there already but unnoticed, but the real issue is performance.
Whether this is true or not, the exhaust guy at Mackie Harley claimed there was only a 30% chance of not remapping using aftermarket straight shots. He guaranteed no remap with the slip-ons as long as I didn't do the filters, certainly wasn't going to pay them to dyno an 883. But as I said before, we wanted to keep the heat shields on the exhaust as well, so far so good, we are happy with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts