Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is one of several times I am hearing this strange noise(S) when the engine is hot hot.
Going down the highway or just pulling out, the noise sounds like metal marbles from somewhere in and around the front cylinder. I had it back to the dealer for this and they could not duplicate the sounds. The bike is a 2012 FLHTK 103 Motor.
Any suggestions or has anyone had any of the same issues?
Bike is all stock except has been de-Catted

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't mean anything by this so please don't be offended but...are you lugging it too much? maybe just spin the crank a bit faster [on the highwaydrop down a gear] and see if the noise disapears. One other thing, if the ambiant tempature is warm [80 deg. or more] run a higher octane fuel, a mechanic friend of mine told me years ago "the hotter it gets the more octane you feed em" The temp. varies wildly where I am, from freeze the nards to 100 deg. and fuel DOES matter. 35 deg. F. and it runs fine on anything 95deg. F. and it does matter

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't mean anything by this so please don't be offended but...are you lugging it too much? maybe just spin the crank a bit faster [on the highwaydrop down a gear] and see if the noise disapears. One other thing, if the ambiant tempature is warm [80 deg. or more] run a higher octane fuel, a mechanic friend of mine told me years ago "the hotter it gets the more octane you feed em" The temp. varies wildly where I am, from freeze the nards to 100 deg. and fuel DOES matter. 35 deg. F. and it runs fine on anything 95deg. F. and it does matter
Mine does this. If I throw it in 6th and only going 50 or less. It lugs. Almost sounds like spark knock. But its not.

I drop a gear and viola. :eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine is definitely not lugging and running Sunoco Ultra 93. Wednesday I was curising at 75 mph and the noise was very noticeable, even my passenger could hear it

·
Registered
8 Posts
2012 Street Glide
I experienced the same sort of ping the weekend before the holiday. Rode the scoot from Denver to Vegas.
With the hotter weather (into the 80's), any load (little uphill or stiff headwind), and the pinging would start. Downshift would not get rid of it. Opening the throttle did help some (getting it richer wider open throttle?). Different makes of gas helped some; nothing but 91 octane was available.
Cooler weather (on the way back), it was a lot less noticeable.
Called the local dealer, they say they have got a new down load for the ECU that will clear it up. We will see.

ed

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Sounds like pinging to me.:think

·
Registered
22 Posts
rcroff,
i share the same symtoms as you, just not the same motor. My side is definitely NOT pinging... i kinda fixed this one. Problem occurs after a good strech of ride once everything is hot soaked. When the racheting noise comes, if i suddently shutoff the trottle from a minimum 2500 rpm and being on 4th gear or up then it quiet to silence.. gone.. may not come back today.

Please give it a try, let me know. I'd be happy to know i am not the only one on the planet. Was occasionnaly doing it before the 6k check, also after. (fluid change)

·
Yea, real tough guy.
194 Posts
Just a couple of questions: 1) Is the sound coming from the front cylinder or the primary chain area? 2) Does the sound stop when you pull in the clutch, and also doesn't happen with the clutch pulled in and you rev the engine? 3) Does the tapping/pinging also occur when the engine is hot and you accelerate? If all three of these conditions occur, your primary chain automatic adjuster is probably the culprit. Diagnosis: this is more of an annoyance than a problem. Do a search on primary chain auto-adjuster chain slap within the forumns. There is a lot of good info available.

Hope this is of some value.

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Code:
Hope this is of some value
As i read this, it occur to me that this is very valuable.

1) well... not the front cy. But cannot set the location precisely.
2) I will double check this, but i believe it is a yes.
3) All the times when this starts, with the exception of #2, which need to be DC.

Supplement) The racheting frequency is more following bike speed than rpm.

Thanks for the input.
I will update following the next event.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Mine has done that and almost always on a hot day. I attributed it to bad gas. Sometimes after a fillup it would be really bad. Next tank it would go away. It has not happened since I got rid of the OEM exhaust and the CAT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RDU1961,
The sound only occurs when in 6th gear at highway speeds (65-75 mph) and sounds like metal fatigue from somewhere in front of the engine. It is so noticeable that my passenger can hear it load and clear. I have not pulled the clutch to see if the problem disappears or not. Currently it is at the dealer for the problem and as I guessed....they cannot duplicate the problem. Again, this noise only occurs when the engine is running hot

·
Registered
70 Posts
RDU1961,
The sound only occurs when in 6th gear at highway speeds (65-75 mph) and sounds like metal fatigue from somewhere in front of the engine. It is so noticeable that my passenger can hear it load and clear. I have not pulled the clutch to see if the problem disappears or not. Currently it is at the dealer for the problem and as I guessed....they cannot duplicate the problem. Again, this noise only occurs when the engine is running hot
at 100 Km/hr [aprox 65 mph.] with a passenger on I need a tail wind, or a downhill to pull 6th , spin it at 2500>3000 :think

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let me guess;
You have at least 6000 miles on it, it happens only when;
Engine is Hot, running in higher gears and Lower RPMs, and under a load like going uphill or accelerating.

If so,
That would be the dreaded 'Pinging' my friend.

Colder spark plugs and the highest octane fuel you can find will help for a while.

Retarding the timing with a fuel management system is the cure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
103 engine noise

I have the exact same bike.Your noise sounds like mine did. Noise got steadily worse. Is not pinging noise. Changed whole exhaust system and dynoed. Finally local dealer heard it. It has been there now for over 2 months. They took off left side and all ok. Took off right side and all ok. Replaced front cylinder, piston and rings. All back together and immediately shut it down. Called in Harley Rep. He told them to replace cam, cam plate and oil pump. Still waiting on cam. Very upset it has taken this long. Bike wasn't even a year old ( 10 months).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update from last week. After the dealer pulled left side, then right side, then replaced front jug and piston. Next replaced cam, cam plate and oil pump. When all this didn't stop noise Harley finally said they would send a new engine. Will be 10 weeks on Thursday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Back from a 1200 mile road trip to VA in late June. Noise was unbelievable when the engine got really hot. This is NOT Pinging my friends, this noise is coming from the oil cooler area. I am convinced that the oil is flashing as it passes through the oil cooler. My new cooling fans from WardsWerks arrived after I got back and recently installed them. WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!. It has been in the upper 90's here in the NE and with the cooling fans, very little noise from the oil cooler. Before anyone bashes the oil, same issue with HD dino, HD syn and Mobile1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you considered that it could be the ETMS kicking in executing the one cylinders mode. My RKC 2011 does that when its really hot weather. Its an akward sound when going in this kinda cooling mode.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts