Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 iron 883 and I've been noticing a strange noice coming from the motor when I'm going down the road, to be honest it sounds most like a large amount of crickets in my ear to get the best explanation of sound. Is this sound normal? If not, what is wrong?

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
Crickets? I think that's called tinitus.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mine does it too. I decided it had to do with the frequency of the sound waves in certain rpm ranges. I tried using ear plugs and listening to the iPod but it still is there. It is annoying as hell at times. I did find that it goes away for me at 70mph on the interstate. I never heard anyone else talk about it before so it must be just a few of us. Let me know if you find a cure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a 2012 iron 883 and I've been noticing a strange noice coming from the motor when I'm going down the road, to be honest it sounds most like a large amount of crickets in my ear to get the best explanation of sound. Is this sound normal? If not, what is wrong?
It's not the sewing machine sound of the valve train that you are hearing is it?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sportys are noisy by design and if you keep them maintained properly after a while you should become accustomed to the way it sounds normally and be able to identify which conditions are associated with which noises as they creep in from time to time.

Mine will begin to "chirp" or "squeak" whenever I need the primary chain tension adjusted which is probably about every oil change if running constantly, but also in the spring after sitting all winter in the garage. This might be your issue.

Another example is when I start to hear a lower pitched squeaking while I'm backing out of the garage or when the bike bounces up and down on the shocks because I just got on or off it, that's due to brake pad dust accumulating on the rear rotor.

I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them right now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts