Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a sportster or a street bob as my first bike I'm leaning more towards the bob because its something I can grow into and something that will keep up with friends

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Try'n to behave
5,523 Posts
Ride both and see which one you like the best.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Don't get a bike to "Grow into". I got my Sportster just to get back and forth to work. My wife didn't really want to ride. Now that she has a few rides with me. The Sporty isn't up to snuff for the two of us. I'm looking at a Heritage tomorrow.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Friend of mine has a 2008 Nighster, and he just did a bunch of mods to his to be able to hall two up. It works but there is a lot of room to be desired. For just him it's a great bike. He bottoms out with his wife on the back if he hits any bumps. He upgraded the shocks and seat amoung other things.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Started out with a Nightster but went with a Street Glide the following year. Sportster was too uncomfortable on longer rides also hauling 2 up was a pain on the sporty. Go with at least a Dyna or Softail.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
You and the wife need to ride them both and decide. I'll bet she will prefer the dyna over the sporty.

-Rohan

·
Registered
781 Posts
Two completely different rides. Don't think of "growing out" of a Sporster. That's the typical response from someone who either doesn't know better, or who bought their sporty for the wrong reason to begin with. Choose the bike that best fits the type of riding you plan on doing.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I find that most people that buy a Sportster do it for a couple reasons. The least of wich is that is the bike they really want, and I like Sportsters...

Most I know bought them because they were cheaper, and they wanted a new HD. That is why you see tons of them for sale. At least around here there are always several 883's fr sale that are only a couple / few years old.

The other reason is because they are afraid of a bigger bike to start. Same thing happens. It gets put up for sale after awhile.

Me personally I would like to have one, but it would have to be an XR1200 as a second bike for me only.

·
FREE THINKER
38 Posts
Im a newbie here and I don't know if it's my place to even give you my opinion but I do know one thing, since I have been part of this community (only a couple of days) I have learned ALOT! Listen to the guys on here (and ladies..lol). First thing is I would have a talk with the wife/GF and see how serious she is about getting involved and on the back. If so, then start looking for something for both of you to enjoy in the near future. If you go into this thinking "MY BIKE" instead of "OUR BIKE" you might not be happy with the decision and will be making a trade real soon.

I, on the other hand, have a hubby who is not interested at all and I have no support system whatsoever (on the home front that is). In my case, it is all about me as it should be. I'm 5'2 and not a string bean. I sat on a Softail Slim and did not want to get off. That bike is 700lbs and the lower center of gravity made me feel comfortable unlike my 1200C I owned. In the end, it's really not you choosing the bike, it will be the bike choosing you and you'll know it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
go with the street bob. i can tell you from experience that a sportster is not so comfortable 2 up or touring. my first harley was a 93 heritage. put many interstate miles on it , then came grandkids and time to ride long distance went away and the wife lost interest. now ride a sportster that i bought as a project to sell, but enjoy short rides on 2 lane blacktop roads, so i will enjoy at least for the summer, but def do not plan to tour on it

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
My first Harley was a 2000 Super Glide. I decided to get the cheapest big block they make and decide if a Harley was what I really wanted. 4 years later, bought an Electra Glide. A little heavier but handles similarly and is almost as nimble. Today… I wish I would have bought a Harley when I got out of the Navy in 85.

·
Registered
22 Posts
first Harley 2006 superglide put 20,000 miles on that bike in a year and got a Brand New 2008 Street Bob as soon as it was delivered in July of 2007 in 2009 traded in my streetBob with 40,000 miles for a new 2009 Roadglide and in 2012 i traded that Roadglide with 60,000 miles on it for a new 2012 Roadglide Ultra that now has 20,000 miles on it, just love to ride, Ride Ride

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts