Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously considering, after only a few thousand miles, trading up from my next-to-new Sporty 1200 to a Dyna. I'm only interested in the Bob's though. Which one would you recommend and why?

·
Old Member
2,896 Posts
Both are beautiful looking bikes,but for me the choice would be the Fat Bob.

·
What?
3,256 Posts
The biggest difference is the cosmetics. I have the Street Bob. It rides great on long rides, and it get's very nimble in the curves. The "look" of the street bob suits my tastes better, and what I have planned for future cosmetic updates. You won't be sorry with either one, it just boils down to which one you prefer and might want to work with. Good luck on your choice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get what you want.

I say, buy the bike you want and don't let anyone sway your opinion. I like the Street Bob cuz it has the old school looking ape hangers. I also like the Fat Bob with the big ass front tire. I own a Street and have to say people told me my hands would fall asleep on the bars...not true. If your short maybe so but I am only 5'10"...but built like a monkey, with long arms and hair to match...just my :2cents::cheers:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The biggest difference is the cosmetics. I have the Street Bob. It rides great on long rides, and it get's very nimble in the curves. The "look" of the street bob suits my tastes better, and what I have planned for future cosmetic updates. You won't be sorry with either one, it just boils down to which one you prefer and might want to work with. Good luck on your choice!
As a shorter rider the streetbob has more of a narrow width to the bike and is much more comfortable to me!! my next harley will be the streetbob with drag bars and a little more of lowered stance!!! I can`t deal with the ape hanger bars due to two bad shoulders from racing !!! the right shoulder is totaly gone ! which brings me to say that it`s what you like and are most comfortable on!!!!:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get What Feels Good

Brokebolt and Motocrosser mades some great points. Get what feels the best to you and your circumstances. Personally for me I really liked the Super Glide, I wasn't real sold on the old school look, however the the Street and Fat Bob are great bikes. I just felt better on the Super Glide. I am about 5' 9", weight about 180lbs. I liked the wider stance of the Super Glide and the handlebars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 08 FatBob. Great handling scoot. Dual headlamps light up the road nice. 180 rear tire makes the bike look awesom. I got the Denium Black. Beautiful. No washing needed, just wipe it clean. Just don't touch it, leaves oily finger prints. Your butt is only 25 inches off the ground. You sit in the bike, not on it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Fat Bob here..
Damn thing makes me smile every time I open the garage:thumb
Nimble is a word I would use to describe my bike so much so dragging a peg is an issue (love the way it handles).
But the advice on personal preference is spot on.
No matter which Dyna you buy you will spend money should you decide to customize...
Just be forewarned that it is a "buyers" market right now and you should use that to your advantage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had an order for a Street Bob and changed it to the Fat Bob after I sat on both. I also started seeing way too many Street Bobs on the road and want something a little different. Can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I own a 08 Fatbob its awesome. the only thing i don't like is trying to find custom parts for it.But other then that i wouldnt buy any other bike!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I traded my '07 1200 Sportster in for a Fat Bob. One test ride was all it took. I have had it for 1 week and put 400 miles on it. I sat on both "Bobs" and the one test was all it took. Try them both and get the one you like best. My only complaint is that I have to get off it to sleep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just over a week ago I traded my 08 Sportster for a Fat Bob. I chose the Fat Bob over the Street Bob because of the bigger wheels & tires. I wasn't sure about the drag bars on the Fat Bob, but those bigger tires was what I wanted. I figure I can always switch out those bars for some mini-apes if I want. Only put 315 miles on it so far, and I'm leaning toward new bars. Those drag bars make me reach forward a little more than I'd like. All in all I'd buy the same one again knowing I may have to change out the bars. I love those bigger wheels.

My advice, make up your own mind and get what you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 08 Street Bob and love it. I am 5'6" and I ride on it for hours with no problem. It feels very light even compared to my last Custom Sportster. It's all preferrence but I thought I would throw that out there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
The answer to this question is easy. Elect politicians-of-hope that add tons of pork to stimulus bills, then tell him you'll grill it for him real nice if he throws in a couple Harleys. Might as well get the fancy paint job and chrome everything considering China's paying for it anyway. :)

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I'm seriously considering, after only a few thousand miles, trading up from my next-to-new Sporty 1200 to a Dyna. I'm only interested in the Bob's though. Which one would you recommend and why?
Whichever style you like. There is minimal difference between them in a real-life scenario.

Why do you care what others think you should buy anyways?

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I own a 08 Fatbob its awesome. the only thing i don't like is trying to find custom parts for it.But other then that i wouldnt buy any other bike!!!!!
X2, AFTERMARKET for this bike sucks....I don't like HD genuine parts, to common, aftermarket makes a bike more unique, but 2 years of the FXDF & aftermarket is slim to none:(..im trying to find smooth struts so i don't need turn signal, no luck thus far:pull

·
COB
1,984 Posts
X2, AFTERMARKET for this bike sucks....I don't like HD genuine parts, to common, aftermarket makes a bike more unique, but 2 years of the FXDF & aftermarket is slim to none:(..im trying to find smooth struts so i don't need turn signal, no luck thus far:pull
You say Gennie HD is too common, but you are still looking for a bolt on solution. You might consider having a set made from a pattern you can make from the stock unit and then you would have a truly unique part for your ride. Sometimes this can actually be cheaper than buying after market or Gennie. Or maybe fab something up on your own.....nothing cooler than that even if it doesn't come out perfect.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
You say Gennie HD is too common, but you are still looking for a bolt on solution. You might consider having a set made from a pattern you can make from the stock unit and then you would have a truly unique part for your ride. Sometimes this can actually be cheaper than buying after market or Gennie. Or maybe fab something up on your own.....nothing cooler than that even if it doesn't come out perfect.
I actually want a real deal strut...Ness or someone, no covers go on my bike..there's nothing out there & being how anal retentive i am , there's no one in my area I could ever TRUST to make a good quality strut or i would....Gotta keep my fingers crossed & wait:liz:

·
COB
1,984 Posts
I actually want a real deal strut...Ness or someone, no covers go on my bike..there's nothing out there & being how anal retentive i am , there's no one in my area I could ever TRUST to make a good quality strut or i would....Gotta keep my fingers crossed & wait:liz:
Until something comes along you might consider posting something on craigslist.org and see if you can find someone to fab something up for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts