Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks i was wondering if i could get some feedback on this problem I am having with my 2009 street bob. Just recently in the last few months when i get up to around 70 mph the bike starts to speed wobble. I'm thinking it could be that i need a new front tire? Any input on what else could cause this?

Btw my bike does have 17 inch apes on it and i first thought it was body position and wind causing it.. i put a windshield on and that did not help so i don't think this is the case?

Thank you.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Hello folks i was wondering if i could get some feedback on this problem I am having with my 2009 street bob. Just recently in the last few months when i get up to around 70 mph the bike starts to speed wobble. I'm thinking it could be that i need a new front tire? Any input on what else could cause this?

Btw my bike does have 17 inch apes on it and i first thought it was body position and wind causing it.. i put a windshield on and that did not help so i don't think this is the case?

Thank you.
Air pressure...tire cupping...

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Tire would be easy to see, excessive wear, etc. Mis-adjusted head stock bearings is a cause for wobble, as is unbalanced front wheel. Either check yourself, you do have a shop manual, don't you, or have it checked by a trusted mechanic. Wobble at any speed is NOT GOOD!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire would be easy to see, excessive wear, etc. Mis-adjusted head stock bearings is a cause for wobble, as is unbalanced front wheel. Either check yourself, you do have a shop manual, don't you, or have it checked by a trusted mechanic. Wobble at any speed is NOT GOOD!
Thanks. ill look into those things.I may just take it to the local bike shop and have them look over it..

·
Registered
195 Posts
Front or rear wobble? Straight line or sweepers? Do you get the wobble in any condition at slower speeds? Condition of road? Are you two-up or solo?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks. Bobf is on point. Should be easy fix but get it done, will get worse. If under warranty will be covered. Check steering / neck bearings. Fall away test. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
565 Posts
When you take it into the shop have them check the fall away also.

·
Registered
221 Posts
For what it's worth, I have an 09 bob with 13" z bars and a 1" riser ext. I don't have wobble at any speed, and no windshield. However, what I wear affects handling. In the summer, if I have a fitted Tshirt on, I am more stable and aerodynamic. Now with cooler weather, a windbreaker, or even my leather (it's a motorcycle jacket) catches the wind, and affects handling. I wouldn't say it's a wobble, but something I'm conscious of. Higher bars sort of turn your torso and clothes Into a sail. One other thing I noticed, and some people will disagree...is that since I did a 2" tank lift, higher speeds are more comfortable. Simple physics says that if more air is being diverted to your motor, less air is going somewhere else. To me, it feels like I'm behind a small windshield. Hope my feedback helps!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts