Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 street glide and yesterday started having problems starting the bike after riding for awhile and turning it off. It would turn over but not start, we happened to be at gas station and there was still about a half tank in it but I filled it up and it started fine. We rode for a few hours and stopped multiple times and the bike started fine and ran fine and then we took a break and wouldn't start again and it was down to about half tank of gas again. Was able to get a little bit of gas in a can, probably less than a gallon and it started right up. Seems to be just fine with a full tank or near full, but when it gets down to around half a tank it just won't start but still seems to run fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Just Ride
3,261 Posts
Hose in tank probably has a hole, common problem.

Reactions: JPR and Lanceb77

·
Registered
563 Posts
The pin holes in the hoses are so small you can not easily see them. Only way to make sure is to put some pressure into the lines when full
What I did is install a 2 foot length of hose on the output port, filled my mouth with water and forced in into the tube. Pin hole located.

Reactions: Lanceb77

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pin holes in the hoses are so small you can not easily see them. Only way to make sure is to put some pressure into the lines when full
What I did is install a 2 foot length of hose on the output port, filled my mouth with water and forced in into the tube. Pin hole located.
Tried that and still didn't find a hole.
I tried to force water through and still didn't find any holes. I tried all the hoses and can't find any holes. I attached a picture of the setup

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
You have the pump assy. out but did ya check the fuel filter and regulator ?

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
The regulator is tested with a pressure gauge, in lieu of that it's a good practice to replace it when the filter gets changed. Fuel filter replace is at the 25k service intervals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The regulator is tested with a pressure gauge, in lieu of that it's a good practice to replace it when the filter gets changed. Fuel filter replace is at the 25k service intervals.
Would that be what is causing the issue with the starting?

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
A loss or drop in fuel pressure will cause a no start condition. The regulator shell has a tendency to crack which can cause an intermittent drop in fuel pump pressure. In your case the pressure might drop just enough when the fuel level goes down and exposes the cracked shell. I'm not saying this is the case but that it's something to check into.
Also there was a MoCo service bulletin issued about the cracked regulator shell, I just don't remember how long ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A loss or drop in fuel pressure will cause a no start condition. The regulator shell has a tendency to crack which can cause an intermittent drop in fuel pump pressure. In your case the pressure might drop just enough when the fuel level goes down and exposes the cracked shell. I'm not saying this is the case but that it's something to check into.
Also there was a MoCo service bulletin issued about the cracked regulator shell, I just don't remember how long ago.
I have a regulator and filter on the way. Since I have everything apart should I change the fuel pump as well?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a regulator and filter on the way. Since I have everything apart should I change the fuel pump as well?
When you say regulator shell are you referring to the regulator itself or the plastic piece the regulator goes into?

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
The shell is the part the regulator and the filter install into. Filter in one end and regulator under the other end.
If you get the parts from a Harley shop inquire about the shell warranty. That was a safety recall, from memory, so it should be good forever. Actually if your bike qualifies the dealer should have to do the work and parts free !

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
Harley Safety Recalls are forever thru all owners, no matter how many owners. The bike VIN is the denominator, if the bike VIN doesn't show in the system as DONE then it gets done, doesn't matter if you're the 5th owner or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Harley Safety Recalls are forever thru all owners, no matter how many owners. The bike VIN is the denominator, if the bike VIN doesn't show in the system as DONE then it gets done, doesn't matter if you're the 5th owner or not.
What about the pump itself could it possibly be the problem?

·
Retired citizen
23,379 Posts
It could be the pump, that too would need to be pressure tested for diagnosis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts