Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only 500 miles on my '13 SG. I really like the bike, but I gotta tell ya, the helmet shake at any speed over 50 is considerable. Actually, at 65ish, it's so bad I can't focus with the shield buffeting. Gives me a headache.

I have several helmets. They all have shields ... all Nolan's. It's the same/same with all of them.

Now, I did change out the OEM vestigial poor excuse for a windscreen to a Cee Bailey's 6" deal. Looks really nice, but still had head shake. So, got the CB's 8" and it's great. I don't think it's the windscreen.

I'm 6'2" and now look over about 2-3" of the new 8" CBs shield like a always do on my bikes.

But, the head shake is incredible !

I'm wondering what you folks with SGs do? Seems the buffeting is coming from the lower outside edges of the bat faring. And, not from the windscreen. Maybe from under the faring?

What do you guys think?

·
Just Riding Around!
122 Posts
I ride an EG Ultra Classic but - same front end so..... I have a Clearview shield, dark tint, 9 1/2 inches with the recurve.

It's fantastic! No buffeting what so ever. The dark tint goes well with the bike. The 9 1/2 inches is perfect to see over and the recurve shoots the wind up and over your helmet better than the taller, 12 inch shield.

That's my recommendation. I'm also 6' 2". Hope you find a solution that works. Here's a link to the site:

Custom Motorcycle Windshields

·
Registered
693 Posts
I had the same issue when I started riding my '03, I thought I was going to pass out with vertigo. I got the 15" windshield and it helped big time. I'm 6'4" so my head sticks up. Last year I went to a 12' on my new scoot and have not had any issues. I think it was just me getting used to it. The 15" does help and it's great for cold weather too.

·
Ride Hard
802 Posts
I ride an EG Ultra Classic but - same front end so..... I have a Clearview shield, dark tint, 9 1/2 inches with the recurve.

It's fantastic! No buffeting what so ever. The dark tint goes well with the bike. The 9 1/2 inches is perfect to see over and the recurve shoots the wind up and over your helmet better than the taller, 12 inch shield.

That's my recommendation. I'm also 6' 2". Hope you find a solution that works. Here's a link to the site:

Custom Motorcycle Windshields
+1 on the Clearview. You may want to look at your helmet fit. What model helmet are you wearing. You need to ensure your helmet fits properly and the model is compatible with a bagger. Yes proper windshield will help. It sound your helmet aerodynamics is not copasetic with your stance on the bike.

See if you can borrow a different helmet from a friend and see if makes a difference. You can also talk to the fit shop at the dealer. They may notice a small correction. There are some great video at Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear, Helmets & Accessories - RevZilla on helmet fit and selection.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
This has been discussed quite a bit on here. I had the EXACT issues you did, check out Freedom Shields, I went with a 8" shield, and it works fantastic. You can try a size, and as long as you don't take off the protective film, you can exchange it.

Helmets didn't matter for me AT ALL.... Same issues. You need a taller shield.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Appreciate your help, guys.

I have maybe 12 helmets. 5 are Nolans ... flip ups (very noisy), and some 3/4 with full face shields. I wear them on the Wing and Concours without any sound/shake. But, all of the shields shake sooooo bad on the bagger, that I can not focus properly. It really effects my vision at 55 and above.

I'll look into the Clearview .... heck, I have several windscreens for every other bike! But, it still seems to be coming from underneath the sides of the bike. If I move forward, it stops.

But, I'm not sure the Cee Bailey 8" screen (recurved at the top) is the problem. When I put my hand up above the screen, the wind is diverted over the top of my helmet.

I have running lamps, too. I don't know if they change the direction of the wind coming from the sides or what?

BTW, I've had a couple FLTs in the 90s with same/same bat faring/lamps, and cut down the stocker windscreen to about 6". I don't remember anything like this buffeting. But, back in those days, I didn't wear a helmet much.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
You can add the fork baffle too

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've seen those on bikes before.

And, just looked at the HD "wish book" and on pg 319, they have these and the bat faring deflectors, too.

I may call the HD dealer and see if they have any of these baffles/deflectors in stock.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
I tried the deflectors, helped a little bit. The shield and fork baffle were the biggest changes. I ride with my helmet strap loose, and even at highway speeds, it doesn't move unless it is CRAZY windy out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx, 2 ...

I'm getting the bat wing faring deflectors today. I'll see how they work.

If there is still more air turbulance, I'll check into the black fork deals, or maybe the chrome ones from HD. .... or just pick up the wholeshebang once I get the the dealer. I hate going back and forth.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATE ....

Called the HD shop where I purchased the bike to see what they had in stock. Drove the 40+ miles and bought the following:

--- front fork air baffle (chrome) $26.95 pg 319 in the catalog

--- fairing air deflector (black) $39.95 pg 319 in the catalog

Bolted them up and took the bike around the block to check out how they reduced the turbulence. Guess what? They worked pretty good.

I ran a constant 55 mph and pretty calm back there. I had the same/same helmet I had on yesterday, too. Nolan 3/4 flip up with sun shade ... N42.

Ran the bike up to 75 (45 posted) for a couple miles and it was pretty good with the new additions and the Cee Bailey 8" CeeDevil shield.

Kewl ! I'm pretty happy.

·
The Angry One
10,578 Posts
Nice to hear you found a solution.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice to hear you found a solution.
Yeah, I'm good to go now. Much more pleasant for me to ride this beastie.

I'd say 85% of the turbulence is gone. I know there are riders that ride the SG "as is" with the vestigial oem windscreen and all the wind coming in and absolutely don't know what I'm talking about.

This was the same deal when riders complained about the old 'hard tail' when the soft tails came out. Or, when I first got a bike with a windscreen. Now, I can't figure out how I lived without one. :)

·
Just Riding Around!
122 Posts
I had forgotten the SG's didn't have the deflectors on the bat wing. My EG Ultra Classic came w/ them standard. They are great! Keeps the wind from coming up under AND, in the warmer weather, you can channel the air onto you for more cooling.

I don't have any experience with the fork or frame deflectors but I'm glad to hear they are working for you. You are right, the Cee Baily shields are almost exactly like the Clearviews. That little recurve at the top really makes a difference, doesn't it?

Glad you've got most of your buffeting issues worked out. Enjoy the ride!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts