Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
First post here hoping someone can advise. I just bought a 2008 street glide, 3200 miles, in excellent cosmetic shape and my first bagger. No owner or service manual came with the bike.

The bike came with a 2" lowering kit on the back and was riding what I thought to be rather stiff so a buddy of mine that owns a street glide suggested letting off a little air in the suspension. Being the idiot that I am, I located the valve, removed the cap and let off air. Evidently, I let off too much air as now the right side rear shock boot appears drawn to the shock shaft as if a vacuum has occurred. Then, as if I weren't already dumb enough, I bumped a little air back in the valve to no avail.

I have a dyna wide and a low rider as well. Both are lowered, but neither has an of this fancy air shock stuff...so what gives? Have I already bitten off more than I can chew? Is there a solution other than the usual $550 donation to my Harley dealer? Any assistance would be most appreciated.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
The boot does not hold pressure and should not hold vacuum. If air pressure from the shock is truly having an effect on the boot, it is probably an indication that the shock is defective. The SG shocks are shorter than the other Touring bike shocks and add to that the effect of the lowering kits, and I would think that the ride is definitely going to be stiffer than stock anyway. If you have a defective shock as well, your ride is going to be affected. Good late model take-off stock air shocks are readily available on eBay and even here on the forum for very liittle money. Many here feel that they are not very good (junk is the common term, I believe), but until you have the funds for an upgrade, they might help. Mine are from a 2013 Limited and they work fine for me--for now.

As an alternative, you can have your shocks rebuilt and modified (google it) to lower your ride height without losing any travel. IMO, this would be better than using a lowering kit.

BTW, Welcome to the forum! Where yat?
--

1 - 4 of 4 Posts