Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I can afford the trade right now but I am thinking. What is the difference in the Street Glide and Road glide besides the faring and headlight. I sure there is more. Which one is "better" in your opinion and why? I mostly commute to work and some local joy rides. The sportster is fine for that so I'm just wondering...

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
692 Posts
They are basically the same bike except the fairing is the main difference. They ride the same except when the wind is blowing then the road glide performs better but otherwise there is no difference in ride.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
Same thing with the exception of the fairings.
I think the RoadGlide is better. Why? Because that´s the one I have.:fitz

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
Besides the fairings, they "fit" the rider a bit differently. Some like the RG fit and some like the SG fit. Before you get too carried away with either one you should sit on both of them.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of miles on a road glide. In fact, I have only ridden one once, but I have also ridden a Honda Gold Wing several times.

While it true that they share almost everything in terms of engineering, I think they behave VERY differently in terms of handling - especially at highway speed. The fixed fairing is more stable as any cross wind will translate to your hands (the bars) with a bat wing.

The down side of the fixed fairing (RG) is the controls are further away. You don't have the same cozy, tucked in feel. It's more open. Some say that the batwing keeps the weather away better when your riding in the wet weather. I don't have any real experience with that.

They also look very different. That would be a preference thing.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Same bike except for fairing, i like the roadglide, the fixed fairing doesnt transfer the wind buffetting to the handle bars and makes it more stable behind trucks and highway speeds. I have an ultra limited and if i made a rg ultra a rg ultra limited, id have more then 30k into it so i opted for a ultra limited. But if i were getting more of a custom bike, id def get a roadglide over the street, just persoanl opinion, ride both and see how you like them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Old Fart
1,367 Posts
Same thing with the exception of the fairings.
I think the RoadGlide is better. Why? Because that´s the one I have.:fitz
Same thing I was thinking Vettster, except, the Street Glide is better. Why? Obvious, because that's the one I own.:laugh

·
Just Ride
3,211 Posts
I have a 2010 RGC with 43k on it right now,traded a ultra in for it. The ride difference is unbelievable,handles much better,weather protection is better and the only thing that is a reach is the stereo buttons if you don't want to use the hand controls. The feedback thru the handlebars is more precise without the motion of the fairing. Imo the road glide rules. Top speed is greater also. The only fairing Harley has had in a wind tunnel for testing.

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
I'm going back and forth on this one right now (RoadGlide Vs StreetGlide) so I'm very appreciative that I found this thread.

Although the HD Web site states the seat height is the same between both models, it does state that the clearance is lower on the RG (4.7 on the Road Glide vs 5.1 on the Street Glide)

I have NOT ridden either model, so I like the idea of testing them both. I can't purchase until the fall. How pushy are the dealerships if I request a test ride on each now? Or - should I just go to Eagle Rider rentals and do it that way?

Thanks again for this thread. This forum has been a great help!!

- jp5882

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
Holy smokes! Just checked with Eagle Rider in my area. Each bike is $159 per day (1 day minimum rental). Gonna cost me $318 to decide on which model is best for me. I just might reach out to the dealer first. Of course, it's probably worth $318 for me to make the right decision before laying out $20k for my next ride.

-jp5882

·
Registered
10,861 Posts
I'm going back and forth on this one right now (RoadGlide Vs StreetGlide) so I'm very appreciative that I found this thread.

Although the HD Web site states the seat height is the same between both models, it does state that the clearance is lower on the RG (4.7 on the Road Glide vs 5.1 on the Street Glide)

I have NOT ridden either model, so I like the idea of testing them both. I can't purchase until the fall. How pushy are the dealerships if I request a test ride on each now? Or - should I just go to Eagle Rider rentals and do it that way?

Thanks again for this thread. This forum has been a great help!!

- jp5882
The dealer won't know you can't purchase until fall unless you tell him. Just let him know you are serious about one or the other. A test ride won't absolutely commit you to anything.

·
'10 Street Glide
396 Posts
The dealer won't know you can't purchase until fall unless you tell him. Just let him know you are serious about one or the other. A test ride won't absolutely commit you to anything.
Thank you! I'm always afraid I'll be "held hostage" at the dealership once I commit to a test drive. :locked:
I experienced something like that at a car dealership once. It sucked. Ironically, if I test it out and I like it, I'll probably go back to that same dealer in Nov/Dec and buy.

Thank you for your input here.

- jp5882

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I had an Electra Glide and flew to Salt Lake to see friends after a business trip. I rented a Road Glide to see what the big hooplah was all about with the fairing bolt to the frame. Windy as heck the whole out in the deserts and hills all weekend and to tell you the truth. I didn't notice the difference, but I was happy to get back on the Electra Glide. I actually felt like the Electra Glide handled better. But that's just me.

·
Just Ride
3,211 Posts
I had an Electra Glide and flew to Salt Lake to see friends after a business trip. I rented a Road Glide to see what the big hooplah was all about with the fairing bolt to the frame. Windy as heck the whole out in the deserts and hills all weekend and to tell you the truth. I didn't notice the difference, but I was happy to get back on the Electra Glide. I actually felt like the Electra Glide handled better. But that's just me.
You didn't ride a bat wing in the same conditions,you would have noticed the difference.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I feel to confined on any fixed fairing bike....I've ridden them for well over 100,000 miles..I still prefer the handlebar fairing...in the right circumstances.....both will get blown around....

·
Registered
379 Posts
I had a '10 Street Glide that I put over 21k miles on in two and a half years, including riding it coast to coast last summer. Great bike, handled/rode nice, not an ounce of trouble with it, really loved it. Only thing though, it would get a little unstable & have buffeting issues at highway speeds behind tractor trailers, or if there was a decent cross wind blowing. Traded up last September for a '13 Road Glide Ultra. I've put about 3500 miles on it so far, and IMO I feel it does do a much better job of cutting through the wind (including cross winds) at all speeds/ roads, & behinds trucks. It also really hadles well and feels quite nimble for such a big bike. Quick example: a few weeks ago on a Sunday it was windy here in NY. Myself and 2 friends took a ride, they were both riding Electra Glide Ultras, I was on the RG. We needed to travel on I-84 for about 15 miles to reach our destination. When we got off the exit, both those guys said between the traffic and the cross winds they were getting blow all over the place. They could not believe that I didn't expierence the same. I even offereed them to trade bikes with me to see for themselves. I think since neither of them was familiar with riding a bike with fixed fairing, they were a little reluctant to try it right then and there (even though anyone can get comfortable with it after 10 minutes of riding). To be fair, one of them was riding a '07 Ultra with the old frame, so I'd expect his bike to be a bit less stable regardless. Bottom line, like another poster wrote; go ride both and see which you are more comfortale with, I think you'll be happy with either one. Good Luck...

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I feel to confined on any fixed fairing bike....I've ridden them for well over 100,000 miles..I still prefer the handlebar fairing...in the right circumstances.....both will get blown around....
That´s how I feel on the Ultra. The fairing is right in your face. On the RoadGlide it´s further out in front of you. :nod

I imagine the Batwing would offer more protection in colder weather though. That´s something I don´t have to worry about too much where I live.:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 47 Posts