Harley Davidson Forums banner

1461 - 1479 of 1479 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks guys. I’m considering the Screamin’ Eagle Hi-Flow air cleaner kit, Rinehart MotoPro 45 or Tab BAM Sticks and FP3 Fuelpak. I can handle all that in my garage. But not sure about replacing the headers and ditching the catalytic converters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks guys. I’m considering the Screamin’ Eagle Hi-Flow air cleaner kit, Rinehart MotoPro 45 or Tab BAM Sticks and FP3 Fuelpak. I can handle all that in my garage. But not sure about replacing the headers and ditching the catalytic converters.
My dealer set me up with a set of stock head pipes that they had removed the cats out of. I'm sure not every dealer is doing that but if you have a favorite dealer that is cool with doing that it may be worth asking.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,050 Posts
Did you guys have your bikes tuned after the Tab bam sticks? I’m wondering if I should just throw more money at the bike and do the pipes, air cleaner and tuner all together?

Many different opinions out there on how to go about this. Here’s mine, FWIW. No doubt, the best way and most beneficial for performance, is to do exhaust system, air cleaner and tuner together at the same time. However, in the interest of spreading out expense, you can change your slip on mufflers without needing any other mods, if your first priority is just changing the sound of your exhaust. By changing only the slip ones, you have not changed the engine setup significantly enough to require retuning. Beyond that, retuning is necessary. If you change the header pipes, or remove the catalysts, you are reducing back pressure enough to experience more backfire or pop on deceleration. When you change the air cleaner/induction for more flow, you are giving the engine more air, with the effect of leaning the mixture. The fuel injection system has the ability to compensate within limits, but opening up the intake and exhaust at the same time are likely beyond those limits. That’s where a tuner with the ability to add fuel to enrich the mixture becomes necessary. What level of capability you choose for the tuner you purchase is impacted by what your future modification plans might include. One other thing to consider: since the stock engine management system has to meet very strict emissions standards, a stock bike will experience some performance improvement just from adding a tuner, even if NO other modifications are made. Then, as you do the other mods, a different software map can be used to optimize performance. I’m sure there will be arguments about the details, but this has been my personal experience on my two different Road Kings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Silverback, thanks for the great explanation. At one point, my plan was headers, get rid of cats, new pipes, heavy breather, tuner and cam. All with the intent of having a great sounding bike with improved performance.

After getting my tax return back from my cpa, a majority of my funds for this project will be going to the dadgum IRS. Looks like I can only do the heavy breather, tuner and slip ons for now.

I appreciate your detailed response.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Instead of pacing the floor waiting on parts I went to my buddy garage and tinkered on the bike,washed the frame only 1 side of the bike,waxed it ,polished the chrome and installed these passing lights,head light will wire up the halo rings later off the acc switch and took off tour pack so can clean the chrome support

·
Registered
22 Posts
Instead of pacing the floor waiting on parts I went to my buddy garage and tinkered on the bike,washed the frame only 1 side of the bike,waxed it ,polished the chrome and installed these passing lights,head light will wire up the halo rings later off the acc switch and took off tour pack so can clean the chrome support View attachment 781118 View attachment 781119 View attachment 781120 View attachment 781121 View attachment 781122 View attachment 781123
Looks good, How do you like the LED headband passing lamps? Thinking of doing the same.
Can't afford the HD daymakers, are yours OEM?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will test them out this weekend on a actual street instead of the garage wall:). I took the OEM'S off lenses was not clear and got these off ebay$70.00 or Amazon :unsure:

1461 - 1479 of 1479 Posts