Harley Davidson Forums banner

Streetglide windshield

22K views 33 replies 20 participants last post by  Streetglidin 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am probably going to invest in a larger windshield for my Glide. I found a site that is cheap and apparently has gotten good reviews from Ebay users. Anyway, does anyone know which windshield works the best? I like the look of my smoked shorty, but my head gets beat around like I put it into a ceiling fan. I guess what I have is the 3" one since it's stock. Does a 6" do it, or should I go 8"? The site tells me how to measure for it, but I wanted to hear some real world experience on this. :USA:Thanks in advance. Ride safe! Mike

:USA:

#3 ·
I have 3 shields for my bike, HUGE ASS 15" factory which is only used in real cold weather. A factory 12" that I cut down to 9.5" and I can just feel the wind buffet my helmet, but it beats the old lady silly. I ordered a 9.5" Clearview with recurve and it works great. Wife is happy cause she is not getting beat up with wind. I am 6' with a factory ultra seat. You being on a SG you will sit lower in relation to the windshield because of the difference in the seats, and the lower rear shocks. Clearview has a method to pick your shield size that I used and it worked for me. On level ground, place an object on the ground 50 feet in front of your bike. while on the bike measure the distance from the fairing to just below the object. I put my 15" on the bike and marked on the shield with a grease pencil then measured.

#4 ·
Thanks guys for the info. Someone on another forum site recommended these guys. They have windshields for around $30-40 which, if they work ok is better than spending $80-90 on a shield, especially since I can get 2-3 of them for the same price. Anyone ever use these guys:

http://www.fastaire.com/

They claim to have 100% satisfaction with 5600 positive responses on eBay. One of the other riders said he got their products and is happy with them. I just didn't know if anyone else had tried them. It seems most people go with the Clearview windshields. See what you think on the Fastaire site. Might be worth a look. I might get one and let you guys know what I think.

#5 ·
Streetglidin,

I checked the site out, they look pretty good. I would say go for it, I went with the clearview because a friend of mine has one on his EGC and I really liked the look of the recurve when its tinted. But heck the fastaire ones on the site look pretty good also. If you get one, PM me and let me know what you think of it.

#6 ·
StreetGliden, I ordered the 9.5 when I bought my 09 SG back in 8/08 after test riding the 08 model. The stock one looks good but it's useless. I just wish I would have looked online before paying $124.95 at the stealer.:banghead I'm 5' 8 and it works great. Good luck.

#9 ·
Agree with the "over it", not so much with the "through it". I have the factory shield on my ULTRA, and when I am looking through the sucker (most of the time, I am short) I hate the warping of the view when I am in a turn (left or right) at the edges of the shield.

I will read all of your comments, then make the decision as to how I will cut mine before the real riding season gets here.

#10 ·
I'm 6' 0" and replaced the 12" shield which came with my '09 Electra Glide. I bought a 10" one from www.customflhtwindshields.net and am very satisfied with it. It's on the bike in my photo at left. I also bought my fairing deflectors from them as well. They're a husband and wife operation based in SC. He extends the width of the shield about 2 inches on either side and I feel zero wind over and around me. $45.00 for a MAR resistant polycarbonate shield beat the $129.00 from HD.
Good luck with whatever you get.

#34 ·
I'm 6' 0" and replaced the 12" shield which came with my '09 Electra Glide. I bought a 10" one from Custom FLHT Windshields and am very satisfied with it.

I went with the 10" from Fastaire. Fast, friendly service. The windshield is nice, too. Not junk. However, on a Street Glide, if you go over the 9" one, it has a different shape and isn't as "rounded," which would probably look better on a Street Glide in keeping with the shape of the short windshield. It DOES, however, do the trick. I'd recommend Fastaire to anyone. Great selection, and cheap too. :thumbsup

#16 ·
I got a "low" (the H-D parts catalog) for electra models for my 08SG for cold weather. I'm 5'11" and it works fine for me. I still like my stock shorty for warm weather.
Two friends of mine have the "flare" windshields from Klock Werks (Kustom Baggers) and they love them. I can't put a flare windshield on mine because the radar detector is in the way, but I rode theirs and it really works great. Pricy but probably worth it in the long run.

#21 ·
I recently went with the 9" Fastair windshield but because of the weather, have not been able to try it out. Does anyone know if the windshield screws need to be torqued to a certain poundage? I'm worried I'll be on a long trip and the vibrations will back the screws out. I read somewhere that some bikes need to have the windshield screws torqued after swapping them out. I just wanted to make sure a Streetglide wasn't on that list. Any ideas? Thanks.

#26 ·
I just placed a taller dark smoked screen two days ago, but haven't had any seat time with the new screen yet. At the same time I placed the small H-D windshield/fairing bags that tuck behind the screen and above the gauges. One loosens the shield screws to place the small bags and there was no mention in the instructions of retightening the screws to a certain torque spec.

I do like the look of the shorty stock screen, but noticed how lowering my goofy tall head about 3-4" made a significant wind blocking difference.

#29 ·
Can you use a self tightening nut ? either a C nut or a Nylock....some windshield manufacturers ex: Windvest will void your warranty if you use Loctite....the self tightening nuts would sidestep this and only tighten them till they are just good & snug..

#30 ·
I just have the stock screws and nuts on there. The big thing that ticked me off was they have the star pattern and the driver I had didn't exactly fit, so even though they didn't get stripped out they roughed them up a little. I'll look into those other ones you mentioned. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.