Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing fluid changes and 2 of the torx for the primary cover started to strip before they would break loose, any good ideas how to proceed ?

Thought about heat but don't wana discolor the chrome, plus one is pretty well got no grip.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,355 Posts
Tap gently at an angle in the CCW direction on the side of the screw head using a small chisel...When screw breaks loose, remove and hit trash can from 3 point range with screw(s).

·
Try'n to behave
5,861 Posts
1. How do you strip a torx head? They are designed to prevent that. :laugh

2. If they are bad enough, you may end up having to use an ez out.

3. I have, in the past, used an over sized allen head and pounded it into the torx (has to be a ratchet drive allen) just to get them out, but you are still out the fastener.

4. If you have access to a left hand drill bit, that might work depending on how siezed it is.

Failing all that, drill the head off and completely remove the cover so you can get at the shaft of the bolt with a pair of vice grips.

Other than that, I got nothing.:bluduh

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Drill out the stripped hole with a bit slightly larger than the threaded portion, screw head pops off and you can remove cover and replace.
Done it, works.

·
Viet Nam 69/70
2,289 Posts
If you go drill route use left hand drill sometimes that will catch it and back it out.

·
Registered
341 Posts
take to a local shop.& let them do it. may be cheaper than if you xxxxxup the primary, & replace the torex screws with allenhead screws . get then on-line
also ACE hareware has chreme button-head screws. 5/8" no longer.leasure yours
they also make a hand held impact wrench that you hit with a hammer.

·
Guitarslinger
3,316 Posts
Tap gently at an angle in the CCW direction on the side of the screw head using a small chisel...When screw breaks loose, remove and hit trash can from 3 point range with screw(s).
This is what I did to one of mine that got stuck. Very easy fix.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
If you're really careful, you can use a Dremel with a cut off wheel to grind a slot across the head of the screw. Then you can use a regular screw driver to remove it.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,549 Posts
get a drill and drill heads of screws off remove cover use vise grips remove what is left of screw and get some allen head screws to replace tork head

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me. Fortunately, I live only a couple of miles from the Harley shop, and they assured me that there was enough residual oil in primary that I could ride it there. They fixed it for $20.00. I should have done what the wise ones here say to do. Would have been faster and would have only costed me a hex-head screw. I WILL remember for next time.:tinfoilhat:

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions, think I'll try the chisel idea 1st , then I could always drill the heads off if that fails. This is an 01 that hasn't ever had the primary changed I'm guessing (3066mi when I took possession) @3500mi now so I don't think they have ever been removed. Figures I drained it 1st so now she's empty.

Local Ace hardware has a chrome fastener section , guess Ill get 4 extra so the inspection cover match's too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I take it you are talking about the torx head being stripped and not the bolt itself in the threaded hole. My dad taught me 48 years ago to use a chisel or old screw driver you can file down and tap a groove CCW into the screw and it will begin to turn left. When it gets a bit loose then even a torx head will do the rest. It seems to me you used the wrong size torx in the first place. If it is the threads thar are stripped. Then you are going to have to drill a hole in the center with the right size drill for an EZ-Out to go in the hole. An EZ-out has very sharp edges and screws into the hole backwards and the sharp edges will catch the metal and turn the screw or bolt out. Once it breaks loose and the cover is out, your are going to have to re-drill the hole and tap it out and install an insert. They come in kits by size and they are really easy to work with and restores the hole back as original. Then use a new bolt or screw.

·
Registered
717 Posts
take to a local shop.& let them do it. may be cheaper than if you xxxxxup the primary, & replace the torex screws with allenhead screws . get then on-line
also ACE hareware has chreme button-head screws. 5/8" no longer.leasure yours
they also make a hand held impact wrench that you hit with a hammer.
Ask for a impact driver, it turns either clockwise or counterclockwise when you strike it with a hammer. And works very will for removing bolts and screws that are stuck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,327 Posts
If you're really careful, you can use a Dremel with a cut off wheel to grind a slot across the head of the screw. Then you can use a regular screw driver to remove it.
Good one DaMack

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Had the same thing happen to my primary drain plug. The hex was nothing but a round hole when I bought it. ez out wouldn't work. Got a left handed drill bit, drilled a bigger hole in the hex and was able to tap an old alan wrench into the new hole. It bit enough to get the old plug out.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
The torx screws on the Harleys vary widely in size. When I got my FLHTCU, I soon found out that I didn't have all the different bits needed in my set. With the Torx setup, you have to make sure you have the correct size bit or you'll strip the socket out for sure...(I know this first hand). Some Torx sizes come in 1/2 sizes (T7.5). A parts list will help with sizes. Another note...don't use a hex bit to try to fit a Trox...that results in a failure as well and it really pisses you off.

But then there is just the annoying fact that HD just tightens the shit out of their fasteners and I think they do this on purpose to get you to f*ck them up so as to get you to come into their shop.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
The first owner of my first Harley had stripped almost every torx head. I was very successful getting them out with the "pound a larger allen wrench into the hole" method.

It did ruin the allen wrench, but well worth it.

·
On the loose
8,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I had a nice sharp square bit for a mill that I used vs a chisel. Had to work it for a bit but they finally broke loose.

The one in the pic I squirted a little ATF around and let it sit a few minutes , it really didn't want to break loose.

I used some duct tape , cut out a hole for the torx head to pop through to help prevent any scars to the pretty stuff too.

Went to the hardware store and and they were out of 1/4- 20 - 1/2 & 3/4 chrome hex button heads didn't want to go too long and hit the clutch so I just got stainless for now $3.00.

Thanks again for the tips , this trick worked good :thumb

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts