Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 2014 ULimited. Bike rides really nice, but I want to convert it into a SG. Smaller windshield, different seat, lowering rear, remove TP, etc. Seeing as it is not possible to remove the lowers because of the radiators that adds a lot of weight to the bike and I will not be able to get that SG feel/look when riding. I spoke to my wife about taking a loss and trading in the UL for a SGS and she is on board. Just don't know if that's a smart decision bike wise. I can make up the money difference some day so that's not an issue, but I think I bought the UL hoping to make it into a SG so I could have 2 bikes in 1. I'm just very confused as to what to do. Any advice or guidance is appreciated. Really liked the SGS Amber Whiskey because that color popped. I got the UL in charcoal gray and vivid black not much pop which is also disappointing.

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
I personally believe you need to slow down look at all your options... Leaving the lowers on once you detach the tour pak isn't the worst thing in the world... Search through some threads and find BossHoG’s street glide... It is bad to the bone!!! ( he added lowers) the weight that they add ( imo) is irrelevant to making that a reason why you would get rid of a bike... With some upgrades I think you can make an ultra look great/sporty. I truly believe you are never "done" personalizing your ride...lol but in the end it only matters if you are happy with your ride!!! Just like if you add xyz to your bike and someone says why??? As long as you like it and it serves the purpose that you are going for... ?

Here is a picture of what I've done to my ride so far... 1410677262132.jpg sorry for the beer thrown in there... It was a great day to clean the ride!!! 1410677386746.jpg

And I took the liberty to attach a picture of BossHoG's ride... I hope you don't mind!!! It isn't the most recent... But the bike is still bad to the bone... 1410677530101.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like that bike!! Both of them. I have been contemplating this situation for the past 2 weeks and trust me it was much worse. Lol. Driving my wife crazy. I like the lowers but also like the option to not have them on there. I know now that I made the wrong color choice. Should have gotten something with more pop like I wanted. But at the time I had the vision of smoking out lenses, dark pipe shields, etc. But that is boring. Quick fad. I looked into some custom paint to add an accent that pops to the bike, but of course that isn't cheap. My point is I know that I can do all sort of things, additions and subtractions, to this bike but In the end will I be happy with what I have or still regret something that I should have gotten in first place.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And FYI (mquilty3) you are the only person to response to my last 3 posts.....much appreciated.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol. Hear that. 8pm-4AM

·
Smiles. A lot!
8,683 Posts
My point is I know that I can do all sort of things, additions and subtractions, to this bike but In the end will I be happy with what I have or still regret something that I should have gotten in first place.
That is the million dollar question... You and only you will know what you will be happy with... Best of luck and have fun with whatever you end up doing!!! Your options are endless.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I'll take a look for some ideas. Have to determine what I'm going to do. It's gotten ridiculous.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
you can do a bunch of things to make your ultra suit you. I know exactly what you mean though as I traded my ultra ltd for my SGS. Guess I am no help.....

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
you can do a bunch of things to make your ultra suit you. I know exactly what you mean though as I traded my ultra ltd for my SGS. Guess I am no help.....

Regret the decision at all?

1984 Harley Davidson XLH-Sold
2012 Harley Davidson Fatboy- RIP

Ride Safe!! Cheers

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Dave's bike looks great dirty......

Personally.....you're looking at the reality that you spent additional $7000 for nothing, if you strip it. I've done worse.....

You can do two things : build the bike you want and sell off the body parts you remove to help fund you project, or store them away in the event one day you change your mind.

Either way... Good luck.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I can honestly say, not at all. I lost some money in the deal, sure, but am so happy with the new bike the money is a distant memory

this was my ltd

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Go back to bed!! Its Sunday! ( I have to go to work)

·
Registered
236 Posts
After riding a limited for a week and enjoying the ride I made my decision that the SGS was the bike for me lower with a touch of sporty classic lines love it and don't regret not looking further at the limited. As far as removing all the limited parts to convert it to a SGS I think you would be moving in the wrong direction buy the bike you want and don't regret your decision in the end you will be much happier.

Mike:bikerguy:

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The new CVOs for both the SG and Limited look great. I have never missed the tour pak and love the small rake of the SG, but might be cheaper to install a detachable docking station for all the rear end stuff.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I don't believe cheap is gonna fix your "itch". Search 2stangs' Street Glide to Road Glide conversion. It was an awesome project and the result is amazing. But it was not cheap, even with him doing all the labor. Another one that comes to mind is SoldierX. He converted a Vivid Black SG to Denim Black--$$$$. Then traded it in for a new Road Glide. now they're both happy. For the time being :D

You have a color problem and a setup problem. I would not spend a nickel on that bike. Take your lumps and get the bike that you'll love. Then the money you spend on it, you won't regret.

This comes from somebody who can only spend veerrry little on my bike, but I have to try to make sure that my dollars count.

:2cents

--

1 - 20 of 73 Posts