Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a led, strobe/brake light on my RK. I really like it, as it's a good bit brighter. I've been wondering if following traffic realize that two sec. series of flashes are actually the brake light. Maybe a straight to brake light would say stop immediately, better? For the price, I'm thinking about getting another one. Who thinks what? All input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
imho-they confuse some people - i have bright led that dont blink

·
Registered
11,805 Posts
imho-they confuse some people - i have bright led that dont blink
My Custom Dynamics LED tail light is very bright but it doesn't blink. Always at stop lights, and sometimes slowing down, I work the hand brake lever a lot to give bright flashes to those coming up behind me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I had the CD led lights on my 2012 RK with the flashing brake. It would flash 3 times then go solid when applying brakes. Just got the same thing for my Street Glide.

IMHO the flashing of the brake lights catches the attention of clueless, mindless drivers behind me. Rarely am I tailgated even in heavy traffic. The fact is the back side of our scooters don't have a lot of lights to begin with, especially of you don't have a tour pal. So the brighter the better and strobing makes us much more visible .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Strobing wouldn't hurt, but on my bike I feel it's not necessary. I put the plasma rods on.

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1434812503.549276.jpg

The tour pack is rarely on it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
, I work the hand brake lever a lot to give bright flashes to those coming up behind me.
This works and when your already stopped with some texter coming up from behind.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i got the super bright led running lights and the led tail light is also dam bright-

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LEDs are hard to beat when it comes to brightness. My thought on the strobe is, if you have to hard brake and someone is following you. If they aren't familiar with the lights function, they may take longer to brake. With a straight brake light, when you brake it just lights up. No question as to what's going on. I've never followed anyone with a strobe/brake, so I don't know.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
LEDs are hard to beat when it comes to brightness. My thought on the strobe is, if you have to hard brake and someone is following you. If they aren't familiar with the lights function, they may take longer to brake. With a straight brake light, when you brake it just lights up. No question as to what's going on. I've never followed anyone with a strobe/brake, so I don't know.

The first time I followed someone with the strobe brake light I didn't know what was going on and it did delay my braking a little. That's a pretty good point.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have it on my bike and I installed one on the third brake light on my last two cara. I've had numerous positive comments on both.

The guy at the inspection station said that he thought all vehicles should have it.

A buddy said that the one on my car was a little annoying. My response was "I apologize but it does exactly what I want it to...you notice it".

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seemed like a good idea when I bought it. I got it from Radiantz, it works perfect, just as advertised. It's just something that's been on my mind lately. At 60mph, you're covering about 80' per sec., at that rate every sec. is critical. Especially considering how much quicker a bike stops than a car with a non attentive driver.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
i do run a headlight modulator- i know it works from the amount of dingdongs who pull over thinking im johnny law

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had the CD led lights on my 2012 RK with the flashing brake. It would flash 3 times then go solid when applying brakes. Just got the same thing for my Street Glide.

IMHO the flashing of the brake lights catches the attention of clueless, mindless drivers behind me. Rarely am I tailgated even in heavy traffic. The fact is the back side of our scooters don't have a lot of lights to begin with, especially of you don't have a tour pal. So the brighter the better and strobing makes us much more visible .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Got to exactly agree with this. I bought the Bright Ass LED for my Dyna cuz that one little tail light ain't much. It's set to flash twice then steady. It helps catch the eye as the brakes are applied--I hope.

Next the LED headlight.

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I installed a Radiantz brake/tail light yesterday. Just can't really make my mind up between the strobe/brake or straight brake. With this light, when you engage the brake, the turn signals brighten as well as the brake light. Wasn't expecting this, but it's a good thing. I think.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
I installed a Radiantz brake/tail light yesterday. Just can't really make my mind up between the strobe/brake or straight brake. With this light, when you engage the brake, the turn signals brighten as well as the brake light. Wasn't expecting this, but it's a good thing. I think.

Legally your turn signals need to be red if they function with your brakes. That's only about $10 worth of red lenses on eBay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts