Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Looking for some experience here. Just took off the primary off a custom softtail. It had an oil leak at the front belt pulley. The pulley itself was wobbly, nut not tightened sufficiently. I suspect this to be the main cause of the oil leak. Now the spacer behind the pulley will not come out, it will spin around the 5'th gear and rock a little but it will not slide out. Even when grabbing it with the big pipe wrench. I would like some ideas on why it is stuck and how to get it out?

Getting the nut off the pulley without the proper socket was straight out of 101 How not to use tools... 20" adjustable wrench at odd angle to nut with 18" 3/8 extension stuck in hole for sliding jaw to turn the nut....
Thanks Thure

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
That 5th gear spacer has a thin O-ring behind it. If the nut was loose, the oil sneaks past the O-ring, up the shaft splines, and our behind the pulley nut. From there, it slings around the back of the primary.....

That spacer should come off, with little to no effort...... There's no reason it should be stuck, unless something's damaged undernieth it, or the O-ring is caught inside. The pulley is what holds it on. Oil between two pieced of metal can hold things pretty good....if it's spinning independent of the output shaft, then you might have to sneak a "pick" in behind the trans seal and pry it out. You should be replacing every seal there is anyway, once you tear it down that far.

When you finally get it off, the instructions tell you to tighten the nut to 50ft lbs, then turn it another 40*-50*. You'll need a super deep socket for that........or a really good guess for the 50ft lbs thing. Use locktite as well, on the nut and both locking allen screws.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled out the seal and was able to pry a little behind the spacer. The splines were swelled up just a little from having a loose front pulley banging around. It came off and there was no more major damage.
I cut up a rusty old socket and had the welding shop extend it with a 2"to 1" plumbing pipe reducer and another deep socket so now I have a socket for the pulley nut, and I got it torqued to just over 50 ft#'s . Cost 100 pesos for socket and another 100 pesos for my friends at the welding shop so total cost with todays exchange rate 13.50 .........
Thanks for your help
Thure

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Cool. Glad it worked out for you.... !!! :D

HOWEVER... the torque is 50ft/lbs, then an additional 40*-50*.

If not, your leak will come back within 2000 miles....:(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts