Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20154 ultra limited i'm upgrading the slip-on pipes and i got the throttle side off easy but the clutch side will not move a bit, everything is loose and i was working on the clutch side i noticed that the more i pushed and pulled the cross over pipe under the bike was also moving i was afraid that i might break the crossover pipe or bend it or something bad to make it turn into a trip to the dealer for a $120 per hour service problem. has anyone done this and has any ideas on how much abuse the pipes can take tring to get them off? or is there a better way?
thanks

·
Administrator
14,087 Posts
Shoot some WD 40 in the joint and let it sit a while.

Get the biggest flathead screwdriver you can find. Where the slits are in the end, put the blade of the drive nearest to the front as possible. Use a crescent wrench or vise grips and twist the driver just a bit to pry the slit open a little (not much). You can do this repeatedly moving to the rear of the bike until you feel some movement.

Worked like a charm for me.

Maybe this helps since I can't get to the bike right now:

Rectangle Parallel Font Symbol Logo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, i did take a flat head but i just barely hit the front edge of the slip on, i have to find a long one to avoid a slip and dent situation! but that's a great idea, i sprayed wd-40 on it three times today and let it soak, it's been rainy all day so why not? then i will attack it tomorrow and try again.
i wanted to just keep man-handling it but that cross pipe under the bike was moving and i though if i break or damage it im screwd.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
4,112 Posts
You can also get a rubber strap wrench pretty cheap, throw it around the muffler and use that to kind of twist the it. Sometimes twisting helps break it loose and can also help with working it off.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
A hack for loosening rusted bolts is to heat with a torch (not too much) then rub a candle around the fitments. Supposed to wick the wax in and lube stuck threads. Maybe it will work for slip ons??? jus' an idea

·
Administrator
14,087 Posts
thanks for the reply, i did take a flat head but i just barely hit the front edge of the slip on, i have to find a long one to avoid a slip and dent situation! but that's a great idea,
You don't need to hit it. you are prying the slit open a little by rotating the screwdriver blade. Gently. Don't get in a hurry. It really doesn't take much.

Here is a little better exaggeration. You don't need this big of a gap....

Rectangle Font Material property Tints and shades Parallel

·
Retired citizen
26,041 Posts
Also tighten the clamp for the under cross over pipe. When that clamp is really tight the pipe can't move. I've found many of those under cross over clamp bolts missing when servicing those exhaust systems. Under torqued from the factory ! It's just one of the many inspections I do when servicing Harleys that aren't in the books.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 20154 ultra limited i'm upgrading the slip-on pipes and i got the throttle side off easy but the clutch side will not move a bit, everything is loose and i was working on the clutch side i noticed that the more i pushed and pulled the cross over pipe under the bike was also moving i was afraid that i might break the crossover pipe or bend it or something bad to make it turn into a trip to the dealer for a $120 per hour service problem. has anyone done this and has any ideas on how much abuse the pipes can take tring to get them off? or is there a better way?
thanks
If you have a sturdy leather belt and a solid piece of rubber to go under the buckle portion where it may contact the chrome, this is the best strap wrench possible on cold dry chrome. If it does slip you can always place some more flat rubber stock like door trim etc under it so it doesn't slip. Once you get the muffler to start twisting it will pretty much break free and slide off. Do be careful around that crossover and the mounting bolts underneath on the transmission. That's expensive and not something you want to futz with.

·
Registered
2011 Harley-Davidson FLHX Street Glide (Ginger); 1992 FXSTC Softail (Stitch)
71 Posts
thanks
+1 on tightening the crossover bolts (mine periodically work loose)
+1 on using PB Blaster instead of WD-40

Reactions: JLR

·
2004 Ultra Classic
1,954 Posts
Jeeze guys what happened to having an excuse to play with fire and use the torch. Evil laugh......

Reactions: JLR

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts