Harley Davidson Forums banner

stuck turn signal

7K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Em4n 
#1 ·
Hey guys, my right turn signal is stuck on. it will cancel out when i turn on the left one and then wont work any more. and when i shut off the bike and restart it the blinker is on.

Ive checked all the fuses and bulbs. i've got it down to the blinker switch or the relay.

My question is what would be more likely?
The bike is 2005 xl1200r.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

#2 ·
Sounds like handle bar switch or connection. May have some dirt or corrosion in there. My 2 cents.

#16 ·
That's what the MoCo calls the electrical diagnostics, "Wiggle Tests" In the electrical service manuals.
I've been doing "Wiggle Tests" on Harleys for years !!!

#22 ·
Common failure (at least with me, I busted my left button on my '98 springer, plastic eyelet broke where it mates to the switch shaft.

Just spring for the hole assembly, ain't worth the arguments, unless you can find the sub-vendor that makes the cap.

#21 ·
So it turned out that my switch was ok and all I needed was the switch cap.
Harley will not sell you the stock switch cap separate from the switch. I had to buy the extended switch caps as a set. I had to call 3 different dealers to even find out that there was another option then the switch assembly.

I let them know that it was a forced sale of parts that I didn't need!!!!! Now I know I'm bitching about 25 bucks for the new caps. But I feel they probably do it for a lot more expensive items, and also the principle of the whole thing!!!!

#23 ·
You could have used it as an excuse to jump to the chrome ones lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.