Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in Nebraska and seeing bike traffic pick up for Sturgis every summer I've decided I have to experiance it this year. I understand it will be very crowded being the 75th year and that is a bit of the draw for me. I do have lodging secured in Rapid City.
I will be riding with 3 others and 1 of them has been to the rally a couple of times. What we really want to do is spend a day and night or two taking in The Sturgis experiance and 2-3 days taking in the surrounding area. I'm well aware traffic will be heavy and riding the surrounding area would be better at another time but this is the time we will be there. A few years ago I was through the area in my pickup and got a taste of the scenery. A lot different than the long wide open roads here at home.
I just want to be as prepared as possible for this trip. I want to hit the best roads in the area and see the best sites. I also want to leave home with as much of what I need as I can. We are not big partiers while on the bikes so hanging out drinking all day is out. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
good luck bro.... I would not try that this year for any reason, but that is me.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Best places that come to mind are, Rushmore, Crazy horse, Needles highway, Deadwood, Devils tower, Custers park.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live 15 miles from Sturgis. I would suggest either coming early and do your riding then catch the beginning for the rally. Or come at the end of the rally experience sturgis and then ride once the madness is over. Also be prepared for rain and hail storms and paying alot for entertainment.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Bear Butte Ride-From Sturgis, Belle Fourche, Bear Butte State Park and back.

Alzada Ride- From Sturgis, Alzada, Devils Tower, Sundance and back.

Mount Rushmore, Hill City, Crazy Horse, Custer National Park.

Badlands Ride.

Spearfish Canyon

Vonocker Canyon

·
EX-VIRGIN
1,760 Posts
I live 15 miles from Sturgis. I would suggest either coming early and do your riding then catch the beginning for the rally. Or come at the end of the rally experience sturgis and then ride once the madness is over. Also be prepared for rain and hail storms and paying alot for entertainment.
Always good to have feedback and recommendations from a local. What time of year would you consider the best to visit with respect to weather. Riding in the rain and hail doesn't interest me a bit. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Jaxglide, I would suggest June or the end of August. If you like heat July. If im not working and you need a tour guide let me know ill try my best to help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts