Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally checked this off my bucket list.

A few of observations:

More trikes than I would have ever thought.

Indian has a beautiful lineup. Time will tell on reliability. They allowed test drives and a friend of mine commented that he thought the Scout is everything a Sportster offers and more.

I think I'm the only one that ever rode Custer and didn't see one single bison.

The girls outside the body paint shops inviting women in to get painted were picture worthy. Those that paid to get body paint roaming around downtown needed to cover that up. I still can't un-see some of them.

Devil's Tower doesn't look real even if you're standing right there.

On the Iron Mountain run I believe that's the most fun 1.5 hour 17 miles I've ever driven.

The Badlands reminded me of Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park in southern Utah.

Never thought I'd see a stealership with a 40 acre parking lot (Rapid City).

Not sure anyone knows how to pronouce the name of the city Lead. I heard Lead (as in the metal) and Leed several times.

At the exhibitions, i watched in amazement as some dude rode a 100-yard wheelie on an Ultra Classic.

From Denver to Encampment to Laramie to Newcastle to Sturgis included traffic cautions that said "Motorcycles are Everywhere! Look twice and save lives".

T-shirts are a volume business during the rally. Prices ranged from $1.99 to $10.00 almost everywhere.

Don't feed the prairie dogs at Devil's Tower.

I didn't drag my feet down Main Street.

There are 11,231 different after-market pipes for an Ultra.

Victory still doesn't produce motorcycles.

Just sayin,

Ronnie

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
I did not make it there but I would still agree with your observations on most of those items that you mentioned I can relate to. The Needles Hwy and Iron Mountain are beautiful and somewhat challenging rides everybody should see and do if they are in the Rapid City, Deadwood, Lead area.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with everything you said. The Bison are really cool to see, maybe you can make another trip.

I can say that Full Throttle Saloon seems a lot smaller in person than on TV. And that Spearfish Canyon is an amazing ride also.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Have not been there in A long time. We stayed at the Latchstring inn on spearfish canyon. Think the state bought it and closed the cabins.

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,673 Posts
I know some people that have rode up there and checked them places out when the rally isn't going on, would that be any fun or not so much???

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have been there without Sturgis going on. Tourist traps all summer. Lots to see at A more relaxed time. Family sort of trip. I enjoyed it.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We only spent one afternoon downtown Sturgis. The rest of the time, we were riding. Put on 1200 miles from the time we arrived until the time we left. Up at dawn, ride all day, then asleep by 10PM. I know, I know, we missed out on the revelry downtown. Oh well, that was the plan in the first place.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sorry to spoil your claim to fame... but I didn't see any Bison in Custer either! I sure as hell enjoyed all the riding though. My friends and I followed a similar pattern in that we were up early and on the road, but back at the cabin by about 4, got some food, then cruised downtown. Loved the ice cream for $2 at the shop right across from the HA booth!

Favorite ride for scenery: Spearfish Canyon
Favorite for the roads: Iron Mt.
Favorite sight: Devil's Tower

My plan for next year is to get there a few days early to get some riding in without the crowds. Maybe we'll see you there!

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
This was at Sturgis a while back, still amazing to watch.

·
sober 2 nite
223 Posts
Was on my bucket list as well rode down from Calgary great rides all a round Sturgis but lot of the places look on the Rally to jack there prices up!!one well known bar $5.50 for a bottle of Bud across the road $2.00!!!I know every body needs to make money but that is going a bit far,Would I go again yes but would do things in a more planed way.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like your assessment as well. And I saw the buffalo.

I like the place headed down Iron Mountain Road, I think the beers are $1.50. We did see one guy had a sign "Free Beer No Shit".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts