Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many day should I allow to travel from CT to Sturgis. It about 1800 miles. I know it just math but am I being optimistic thinking I could do it in three days?

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I think a lot has to do with the roads you will be on and the cities and times you go through the cities. My longest trip, to date, was to Eureka Springs, AR from Louisville, KY. Exactly 600 miles. But...., about 500 of those miles were interstate with light traffic and the only large city I kinda skirted--didn't have to go all the way through it--was St. Louis. And after doing 600 miles I really wasn't that tired--could have done quite a few more miles if it had been necessary. But if I had to negotiate some big cities and/or heavy traffic I would have likely been worn out at the 600 mile mark.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Myself 400-500 miles a day have done more and felt fine.

kinda rule of thumb for me when plannin some ride

You know how plans are made to be flexible :)

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
Probably wise to front-load. 600-650 the first day is fairly easy, allowing for excitement and adrenalin and getting a very early start and being well-rested. The 3rd day gets tougher to maintain that pace. You probably won't be ready to party all night when you get there after three 600 mile days in a row anyway. On the way home, you can do a pretty long last day because you are riding into familiar territory and you have the "getting home" effect working for you. The most important thing to remember is that fatigue can compromise safe riding. When you get tired, stop -- no matter what the "plan" is.

--

·
Registered
71 Posts
Three days should not be that tough. What are you riding? We do about 600 miles for two days and then 370 miles from Sioux Falls on the last leg. We go home in two days, 1520 miles.

·
Lost and Confused
106 Posts
Probably wise to front-load. 600-650 the first day is fairly easy, allowing for excitement and adrenalin and getting a very early start and being well-rested. The 3rd day gets tougher to maintain that pace. You probably won't be ready to party all night when you get there after three 600 mile days in a row anyway. On the way home, you can do a pretty long last day because you are riding into familiar territory and you have the "getting home" effect working for you. The most important thing to remember is that fatigue can compromise safe riding. When you get tired, stop -- no matter what the "plan" is.

--
All good points:)

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,117 Posts
Its doable, but you'd be asking for perfect conditions all three days in a row. I've done 500 in a day which was a cake walk, this past summer to Arkansas was my longest 600, not a bad run. But we had run slab all day, hit a little rain but nothing to worry about. I've also run 300 miles, 200 of em in the rain, which beat me up pretty good. I'd go 4 days just in case. Above all, watch that fatigue, if your tired, call it and get some rest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bike is an 03 Ultra. I am trying to go but only have ten days. There is four of us going. We are thinking about taking a truck and two bike trailer and rotating was the talk today. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
691 Posts
Bike is an 03 Ultra. I am trying to go but only have ten days. There is four of us going. We are thinking about taking a truck and two bike trailer and rotating was the talk today. Thanks for the advice
3 days should be enough with a truck riding behind you guys. W/o it, 4 days to be on the safe side. I did Sturgis this past Aug. first day was good 650 miles. 2nd day was tiring and we hit rain. On the way home, it was a beat down with heavy rain the first night. I only got like 500 miles in. 2nd day triple digit temps and did 750 miles that day. That was brutal.

·
Mountain Rider
1,352 Posts

--
+1 :thumbsup

:biker:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Took me 4 days each direction. If you have no issues, traffic, or other obstacles 3 days is doable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts