Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching a guy on you tube doing 15' u-turns on an Ultra, I went out and practiced. Being a bit rusty, 18' figure 8s were tight. It took me a few minutes to get back in the groove. On my best days I can't come close to 15'. Anyone on here able to do 15' 180's?

·
luv the low country
19,637 Posts
Not yet, Coot, but I'll catch up with ya.:D

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's nothing to what I do. It's just a little time and practice. Those motor cops at the top level, are amazing. This guy doing 15' u-turns on an Ultra, unreal. :)

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,748 Posts
I was coming home from a trip to meet with the N. Texas crew a couple of years ago (wow, was it that long?). Been doing nothing but riding for 2 days and the bike was becoming as a growth under me. Stopped off at the little booze store on the way home to get something to ease the rigors of the trip. When I came out. The parked cars made an easy out difficult. got on, fired up, and did this impossible uee without thinking about it.....after which I stopped and just stared at the space I had just turned in....."did I just do that?" I've tried that since a bunch of times, and it just ain't happening anytime soon.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
I suck at uees. Suck I tells ya

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it would be cool to be a motor officer. You could ride every day and practice on a dept. bike. That keeps me from getting better. I don't want to push my limits too far. If I break it, I gotta fix it. I'm not near satisfied with my low speed skills, so I'll just keep working on them. That guy on you tube made 15' look easy. Sorry I don't have the link. Y'all ride safe and enjoy.:ride

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was coming home from a trip to meet with the N. Texas crew a couple of years ago (wow, was it that long?). Been doing nothing but riding for 2 days and the bike was becoming as a growth under me. Stopped off at the little booze store on the way home to get something to ease the rigors of the trip. When I came out. The parked cars made an easy out difficult. got on, fired up, and did this impossible uee without thinking about it.....after which I stopped and just stared at the space I had just turned in....."did I just do that?" I've tried that since a bunch of times, and it just ain't happening anytime soon.
Sometimes it helps to not over think something. :)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Coot I dont know if it's the guy you saw but check out a guy named Donnie Williams on you tube pretty amazing. Just search Police motorcycle skills competition.

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've watched Williams on there and he is awesome, so is John Harris. Just look up Sub 15' u-turn, the guy was riding a yellow Ultra.

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, that's not it. I went to you tube and typed in "Sub 15' u-turn on HD Ultra" and it popped up. It's not flashy or nothing, just a guy on a yellow Ultra practicing. Just seeing someone turn an Ultra that tight without scraping floor boards or nothing is pretty amazing to me. Most people can do 18', anything tighter than that just impresses the hell out of me. Maybe I'm just easily amused or maybe I just know how hard it is. Either way, I just thought some of you guys would like to see what your Ultras are capable of. Y'all ride safe and enjoy. :ride

·
Mountain Rider
1,348 Posts
That is awesome Coot! I too practice slow speed turns like this whenever I am out riding by myself. There is a little run out in the country with curvy roads that I ride all the time when I have just a few minutes to ride and there is a church on that route with a fairly large parking lot that I use. Not sure how long these white lines are that mark the parking spots but I can turn within that length. I will have to measure it one day and see. Seems I can go to my right easier than left by the way. Is it that way for you?

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
I can do them. I went through a local Motor Officer training day and subsequent skill course and they taught me so many incredible things and showed me what my Road King could really do. I can now crank the handlebars all the way to the left, pick my feet up, and do a 180 from a stop in 15' easy. If you ever have the chance to get in with a moto po-po and learn something I would recommend taking the opportunity to learn. They are truly masters of their machine.

-Rohan

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is awesome Coot! I too practice slow speed turns like this whenever I am out riding by myself. There is a little run out in the country with curvy roads that I ride all the time when I have just a few minutes to ride and there is a church on that route with a fairly large parking lot that I use. Not sure how long these white lines are that mark the parking spots but I can turn within that length. I will have to measure it one day and see. Seems I can go to my right easier than left by the way. Is it that way for you?
I'm more comfortable turning to the left.

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can do them. I went through a local Motor Officer training day and subsequent skill course and they taught me so many incredible things and showed me what my Road King could really do. I can now crank the handlebars all the way to the left, pick my feet up, and do a 180 from a stop in 15' easy. If you ever have the chance to get in with a moto po-po and learn something I would recommend taking the opportunity to learn. They are truly masters of their machine.

-Rohan
That's impressive. I understand the friction zone, the head eye thing and all. At full lock I'm doing 18'. Am I missing something or is it just a matter of time and practice. Sometimes I feel I may be going too slow. Any suggestions? Maybe a little more power and a touch more brake? I've thought about doing a RLAP class, but I don't think I could physically stand a three or four hr. class.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,748 Posts
For me, my "miracle uee" was left handed turn. I am usually more comfortable to the right even though I am a southpaw.
Coot, I agree about the over-thinking. That day, I guess I was sort of road numbed and just did it before I had time to think about it. If I had thought it out, I probably would have dumped the bike.

·
Flat Land *******
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sometimes at real low speed you have to stab your foot down for a split second. If you are turning right and your right foot is controlling your brake, and you remove it all of a sudden. It takes you completely out of the friction zone and it throws things out of whack. At least for me that is. One of these days I might rubber up my guards and really see what my limits are. When you have to fix what you break, it's hard for me to push past my comfort zone.:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts