Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing a slight ping did a partial oil drain and replace adding some Lucas as well. Wanted to make sure oil was clean and proper for the final stretch of my move from az to tn. After adding the oil to prevent dry cranking undid the coil wires to spark plugs and cranked engine so as to get the oil to go through without a fire. Replaced spark plugs wires and no start. She won't start plugs are good, cables fine, coil and fuses as well I can not figure it out anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way sorry I am a back door forum reader. I regularly read never had the guts to post but stuck for a while and I am at a loss thanks in advance for all advice. At this point I am clueless.
Bike ---
2001 Heritage Softtail
twin cam 88b

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At a loss

I am a back door forum reader. I regularly read never had the guts to post but stuck for a while and I am at a loss thanks in advance for all advice. At this point I am clueless.
--- The Bike ---
2001 Heritage Softtail
twin cam 88cu in
--- The Issue ---
After hearing a slight ping did a partial oil drain and replace adding some Lucas as well. Wanted to make sure oil was clean and proper for the final stretch of my move from az to tn. After adding the oil to prevent dry cranking undid the coil wires to spark plugs and cranked engine so as to get the oil to go through without a fire. Replaced spark plugs wires and no start. She won't start plugs are good, cables fine, coil and fuses as well I can not figure it out anyone else have this issue?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
this is a double post. you should hear from someone that can offer ideas. just hang in there

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Well, I'd make sure there's voltage to the coils, then remove and replace the plugs, (in case they fouled when cranking the engine over). Remember you need the plugs in to check spark, really best to use an in-line gap to check spark.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have spark, took most the day but found my inline and have spark tested the coil again and now it is giving wacked readings? had it removed for test all was fine took it off put it back on and now its off

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
My recollection is that trying to fire the bike without the plugs connected can result in an internal short developing in the coil. May need to replace if that turns out to be the case.

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
Plug wires reversed ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My recollection is that trying to fire the bike without the plugs connected can result in an internal short developing in the coil. May need to replace if that turns out to be the case.
as a preventative measure I got a new coil- hours and hours of searching later- coil fine my ohms meter not. got a deal and the ignition module was included and so out of curiosity tried it and no go.

Plug wires reversed ?

I could only wish and they are good they been tested four times all by different people/ shops. fuses good and did the codes today became way confused.

The service light blinks slow, super slow 4 times pauses and then again 4 times.Then 6 times fast. 86 44 and 6 or 76 (7 plus the end light then six) I am probably thinking the old trucks (I have a 92 k3500 and that is what I think I am mixing up in the translating of blinks) but what on earth id it telling me?

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Crankshaft Positioner sensor good?

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
Back to basics. First verify the battery has at least 12.8v static. A low battery will crank the engine over but won't have enough juice left to fire the ignition.

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
as a preventative measure I got a new coil- hours and hours of searching later- coil fine my ohms meter not. got a deal and the ignition module was included and so out of curiosity tried it and no go.

Plug wires reversed ?

I could only wish and they are good they been tested four times all by different people/ shops. fuses good and did the codes today became way confused.

The service light blinks slow, super slow 4 times pauses and then again 4 times.Then 6 times fast. 86 44 and 6 or 76 (7 plus the end light then six) I am probably thinking the old trucks (I have a 92 k3500 and that is what I think I am mixing up in the translating of blinks) but what on earth id it telling me?
Forget that method. Hold the speedo trip button in and turn the ignition switch on at the same time. The diagnostics will come up in the odometer window, toggle the trip button to get the codes.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
It is way past time for you to invest in a MoCo Service Manual . :)
Need this book and the Electronics manual also. I would say it gives you values for the sensors and how to do it. There was thread here had some specs for the Crank Sensor. I also read here or in another publication these sensors can die unexpectedly. Cranking engine without plugs grounded is place to start. Not recommended to perform this.

Do you have a trusted Indy guy or a HD dealer you can check with. ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have a trusted Indy guy or a HD dealer you can check with.

Not currently, I am new in a small town and not even to where I was headed yet. So I am having a helluva good time,

First verify the battery has at least 12.8v static. A low battery will crank the engine over but won't have enough juice left to fire the ignition.

I may be a girl and only 26, but that and fuses were first thought. I am good on both there.

It is way past time for you to invest in a MoCo Service Manual
got one but to be honest I CANT READ schematics even if my life depended on one.

I blame it on my dyslexia and astigmatism but when I see a diagram or anything like it there is a sudden mush for brains.

But I had a huge ahh hah I have the 01 heritage due to the carb system and classic name I don't think of the world's demise in the automotive world, the security system. Did the never receiving the key fob bite me in the asssss due to a malfunction or possible short and now security lockout if so how the hell do I get rid of it?

·
Retired citizen
24,536 Posts
If your bike has security then I suggest you change the battery in the FOB. Have you ever done that yet ?
What does your battery measure across the posts with the ignition off. Must be no less that 12.8v.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have spark, took most the day but found my inline and have spark tested the coil again and now it is giving wacked readings? had it removed for test all was fine took it off put it back on and now its off
You state that you have spark. If you add fuel, air and timing, it should fire off. Are the plugs wet? What went ping that made you do the oil change?

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
you are in a bad way girl.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts