Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get some help. I've never ridden a bike and looking to get a Harley Davidson. I'm 55 yrs old, 5'6 and 230 lb. The bikes I like are the fatboy, fatboy lo, & deluxe. What do you all suggest I get?

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
First, walk around a dealership and sit on a few bikes to get a idea how they feel to you. Second, test ride each model that you like to help you narrow it down. Of course in the modern age, the internet is a fantastic tool to learn all that you can about each of the models that you like.

Before you do any test rides though, take a Beginners Safety Course that is offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) or through the Harley-Davidson dealerships. These courses will teach you the basics of motorcycle operation and are a great way to gain practical experience (seat time) on a small displacement motorcycle. Often you local DMV will honor your completion certificate of the course when you get your motorcycle license.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,118 Posts
^^^^ This... it will keep you safe and riding the bike you like.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
+1 on above suggestions. What type of riding are you looking to do. If it's weekend, around 200 miles all the bikes you mentioned are great for that. If you're looking to get into more long distance riding you might want to look at the road king but remember that these are big bikes and if you go with any of these take it slow. When you start riding do a lot of the techniques that you will learn in a MSF course this will build confidence in your riding ability. When you can do that stuff fairly well then your ready to start venturing out on rides around town. Just remember to ride like no one can see you and expect them to pull out in front of you or into your lane. In the long run get the one that specks to you. Good luck and let us know what you get but remember we like pictures.

·
Rider
1,541 Posts
I suggest getting a used metric bike first. They are cheap, light and easy to handle. Get some practice first before the jump to HD. The Harley bikes a lot more powerful than the Japanese cruisers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All of this extremely helpful. Thank you for all the suggestions.

I will definitely be taking all the necessary courses prior to making the purchase.

I will be doing leisure riding, pretty casual, about 30 min a day in the neighborhood & city.

·
Black Velvet Elvis
169 Posts
If you decide to start out on a smaller bike, HD has come out with 500cc and 750cc options too. Look like nice bikes from what I've seen. Can't go wrong anyway you slice it, even if you start on a Fatboy. :bikerguy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts