Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm getting new camshafts.
I'm not a speed demon.
I am perfectly happy with the power my bike has stock.
I know nothing about cams.
I'm sure you good folk have opinions and suggestions.
2012 FLD w/ 65K miles. Stock except for apes and V&H slip ons.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have read and been told that cams are the biggest bang for the buck. I put the S&S 510's in my 00 Dyna, primarily to rid it of the cam chain tensioner issue. It did wake up the engine a bit. It was a mild cam though, and I didn't have to spend any more money on other parts that may be required on a more radical one.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. We ordered S&S. Hopefully will have her back next week. Which is fine as it's supposed to rain all week this week.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh-oh...now you have me thinking...
I'm about to go into the cam chest for lifters and all the other wear items, etc.. But I was going to keep my cams since my bike runs great with a stage one and I never get pop on decel and I go fast enough to get a couple tickets every year...
I have 45k and I was wondering what shape they will be in...yikes, based on yours, I will probably change mine...BUT I hate to get into something that is hard or impossible to tune...
I have been thinking of the woods 222 or a corresponding andrews cam - 48h???
If I change, I want something just to wake the bike up a bit, like a stage one.
Thanks for posting this...I am going to assume that my 45k cams are challenged also and replace. Let me know what cam you decide to go with if you can.
The feuling 525 cam looks good also.
Ride safe.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll find out what he's putting in and let you know. I'm a camidjit myself. I don't know much about the internals of these engines. Been way too many decades since I spent time under a shade tree busting my knuckles on the old Torino.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just to update. I got my baby back tonight, she's running great! He put S&S 474c cams in her. Bolt-in cams, no further mods or tuning required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.