Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the suicide shift kits but having trouble finding one I like. I want the foot clutch and I heard of ones that have a clutch lock so you can lock the couch when coming to a stop. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Just Ride
3,036 Posts
Make it yourself, start with a set of forward controls. Nothing like saying what buy it? I built it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You can make one for cheap, but these guys make some of the best, I think this is what your looking for hope it helps-

Suicide Shifter Kits | Jockey Shifter Kit | Harley Davidson

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
That is an interesting take on the hand shift. I think having the clutch and the shifter on the hand-lever is somewhat of a departure from the the old-school vibe, but it is FAR superior in my mind in terms of use and safety.

As the OP, I would be surprised if you could even find a foot-activated clutch that did not have the lock. Not having the lock is actually the origin of the term "suicide clutch." I wouldn't ride one with a clutch like that for any thing.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know they look cool and all but what do you plan to do when you have to slam on the brakes to avoid a crash? Do you really want to have to deal with only 1 hand on the bars braking and controlling direction and the other holding the clutch? guess that's why it's called suicide clutch, if you have to stop fast, it will be suicide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I know they look cool and all but what do you plan to do when you have to slam on the brakes to avoid a crash? Do you really want to have to deal with only 1 hand on the bars braking and controlling direction and the other holding the clutch? guess that's why it's called suicide clutch, if you have to stop fast, it will be suicide.
I saw this feature recently on a trike customize for a disabled vet who lost both of his legs. The builder took the soldiers original bike, a Dyna of some flavor, and added a tricycle kit with the big wide tires, etc. In addition the bike had the clutch and shift lever mounted on the left side. However, and where I really questioned the judgement of the builder, the original front brake lever still operated only the front brake while the original clutch lever now operated the back brakes. A very dangerous setup in my opinion.

In an emergency stop, this disable rider had two choices:

1. Grab both brake levers and try to lock up the engine as well as brake the bike safely since the engine would still be pulling even at idle, or

2. Grab the right brake lever and the clutch and try to brake that much heavier bike using only the front brake which was a stock single rotor. The rear brakes that could be braking those big rear tires with all that rubber on the ground would be useless.

I told the builder that he should have put a brake proportioning valve in the system that would have applied force to both brakes. He, of course, said that I am an amateur and just ignorant. Maybe I am, but I wouldn't want to be caught riding one of his contraptions on the street. Just my opinion on the suicide shifter theme.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an older thread...here is a pic of my bike taken about a month or so ago, maybe this will help give you some ideas. I've been running this setup since '08 and took my 11-year old kid 2-up on this bike from Yorba Linda (So Cal) to Wash DC and back over the course of a 6600 mile trip back in 2011:

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
In 1967 I had a 1957 used Harley Police Bike that had the suicide clutch and shifter on the side. The shifter had slots for each gear if I remember right and my dad told me what makes a clutch on that bike be a suicide clutch is when you took your foot off the clutch it would engage like an automobile. So many guys had to put both feet down that they would not manipulate the clutch into a suicide configuration. As stock it would hold itself once past a center point. I was only 17 during that time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Life is full of risks, and taking chances whether you try to avoid them or not. Can't be scared to ride, and can't be scared to live. I personally like the uniqueness of the jockey shifter, but I don't really care for the idea of the "suicide clutch" which is why I plan to design and machine my own jockey shifter based on the jockey shifter with the clutch handle on the shifter its self design from WidowMaker Industries. It's a proven design that's easy to install and relatively safe to use. However, it's kind of plane looking, and a little pricey at $300. I can create my own version with a better look at less than half that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
panic stopping while the engine is still engaged is called counter braking. that's a very good skill to master. Ask any truck driver or a police motor officer about it and chances are he'll say the same thing. I was taught counter braking by a California CHP officer at a rider safety class I was required to take back in the earliuer 70's. It helps keep the rear tire from locking up allowing you to better maintain control.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,420 Posts
And a thread rises from the ashes of October 2013 the third time for this thread

·
Registered
123 Posts
and his first post at that :)

·
Registered
553 Posts
You can make one for cheap, but these guys make some of the best, I think this is what your looking for hope it helps-

http://widowmakerindustries.com/

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Those kit still have clutch lever to squeeze on the shifter. That isn't what he is looking for. I had a stock 57 Police Bike that had the left foot clutch and shifter on the side of the tank that had slots to put into. And a part could be removed to make it a suicide clutch acting like one in a car or truck. You had to hold it down. But stock configuration it would hold it self once pushed down. You pushed it back with your heel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have spent 4 decades riding Japanese bikes, and finally got my first Harley, an '06 1200 Low. I plan on making some modifications to it. It came with accessory floorboards, which I replaced with stock type pegs. Now much easier to ride. But that is one modification I would never make. Might be ok if you didn't have to worry about distracted drivers (most of them) but IMO downright dangerous in today's crazy traffic. I have decades of experience using standard controls, and can react very quickly when someone shoves a car in my face. I don't think that would be the case with a jockey shifter and a suicide clutch. I want both hands on the bars in an emergency situation. You need to be able to countersteer properly. Hard to do with one hand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts