Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the H-D brand sunglasses? And does the foam around the eye really help cause the last time i rode without a windshield my eyes teared up real bad if so which style works best for day and night and there any other brands that works well also Thanks for the help.

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Without a windshield goggles is really the only way to go IMO.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Yes and no. My experience is that the foam doesn't really help and it rots over time. YMMV.

Ronnie

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the HD brand (Wiley x actually) sunglasses. I really like them. Proper fit is really important so there's not a lot of gaps between the foam and face. Had to try a couple on before I got the right fit. Also I got the transition lenses. Changes to clear at night, very nice! Eliminates need for two pairs of glasses. I will say they are pricey but so far for me they have been worth it.

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,114 Posts
I've found the foam does work the best to keep air out, I've got goggles which I prefer (in the transitional lenses), after a long ride the glasses have a tendency to dig into the back of my head. I still have sunglasses which I use when riding into the sun, the transitional goggles just don't darken up enough for my eyes. I've had good success with the HD brand, but Willey is just as good. As stated the foam does dry out and goes bad over time.

·
Wayward Son
23,318 Posts
Bought a pair of the WileyX. They had been listed as over eyeglasses. They are not.
Wound up keeping them and plan to have prescription transition lenses made for them.
Many in the Military use a WileyX product. Figure they must do the job.

I see them as sort of a high-breed cross between sunglasses and goggles.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don't care too much for goggles, they often give me a "faceache". Good fitting sunglasses that offer a bit of wrap around are fine. Clear at night for me. Would never ride without eye protection as I would never run with a windshield.

·
THE Yuppie Outlaw
10,082 Posts
I have a pair of Wiley X Bricks with transition lenses and a removable foam seal.

They work great.

I also have a less expensive pair of HD glasses with yellow lenses and non removable foam.

I love them at night.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Does anyone use the H-D brand sunglasses? And does the foam around the eye really help cause the last time i rode without a windshield my eyes teared up real bad if so which style works best for day and night and there any other brands that works well also Thanks for the help.

Go to the fishing aisle at Walmart and try a pair of Berkley sunglasses first. For $20 I'm more than satisfied with their performance.

They have a rubber line that conforms to your forehead and allows much less air to your eyes than traditional sunglasses. They also wrap around the side of your head to guide the air behind your eyes.

I'm happy with them and I'm on my second pair since my first got stollen/lost. My girlfriend actually bought a pair for herself because she was so happy with mine when she forgot a pair of clear glasses on a night rode.

For clear I use the Paul Jr Designs glasses in the motorcycle aisle of Walmart with interchangeable lenses.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I also have Paul Jr design from WalMart work just fine I also have a pair of Rx glasses from liberty,there are sport styie with foam inserts ,I use them during the day,dark lenses, and the PaulJr at night,yellow lenses.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I have a pair of bobsters for day riding and a pair of knock offs in copper for night riding. My helmet came with a pair of aviation goggles I use in the rain.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info. I have a pair of oakeys that are polarized but have wire frames and i think thats the reason i get so much viberation form the wind with them not sealed to my face more. the big reason im asking is i keep my windshield on when riding my RK but i want to take it off for riding around town.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Go to the fishing aisle at Walmart and try a pair of Berkley sunglasses first. For $20 I'm more than satisfied with their performance.
This. This is exactly what I used to wear before I decided to get prescription/transition lenses. Now I'm rocking a pair of Oakleys that wrap around my face.

$20 Berkeleys worked great on my wide glide as well with no windshield. If they wrap to your face with little to no gap, then they should be fine.

·
On the loose
8,699 Posts
I've got 2 pair of the Bobster goggles and recently picked a pair of the Global vision goggles. All 3 are hinged in the middle , fit well and stay put.

I can't stand foam it rubs my eyelashes , these all use sealed foam or rubber type vented seal work great.

The Bobsters were around $20 ea , one clear one dark tinted. The Globle's were $14 .

bobster.com - Crossfire, Small Folding Goggles, Anti-fog Smoked Lens

·
Registered
529 Posts
Cheap Global Vision.. 12 to 15 bucks...
If you loose them no big deal.. Just lost my last pair in the lake...
Used them for years.

Global Vision Zilla Plus Flash Mirror Sunglasses - LeatherUp.com

$$4.00 better hurry, last pair... hahaha

Men's Blaze Black sunglasses With Smoke Lens - LeatherUp.com

Yes! +1 here. Bought 2 pairs of Global Vision on Amazon for around 15 bucks each. 1 pair for night (yellow lenses) <---work great! And a tinted pair for sun <---tint is a little mild... But, both keep the air out of my eyes perfectly! I wear contacts and have no problems with eyes watering... Unless I hit above 80 mph for more than a few minutes (which doesn't happen often).:bikerguy:

·
Dr. Pending Projects
1,785 Posts
They work as long as you get the ones that fit best around your eye sockets... many different brands to select from... but again, you must try them for fit.

I recently got one with the transition lens. Third set that I get (first was clear, second was dark/smoked lens, finally got one that transitions (and has a light yellow tint that makes everything sharper...)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Bought a pair of the WileyX. They had been listed as over eyeglasses. They are not.
Wound up keeping them and plan to have prescription transition lenses made for them.
Many in the Military use a WileyX product. Figure they must do the job.

I see them as sort of a high-breed cross between sunglasses and goggles.
I had the Wiley X prescription/transition glasses. My optometrist is also a Harley Rider so I went with his suggestion. I hated them. The transition turned a bit yellowish and would not revert back to completely clear. The foam around the frame would not allow fresh air into the lens and they would fog up with sweat moisture. When I renewed my prescription I threw those glasses in the recycled box for the poor.

I now have transition lenses through Target Optical and I love em. I also have Polarized Sun Glasses that were made to wear over glasses. I love them too. Now, I can read my GPS or TMS without the glare. They also help in looking at my cell phone outside.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts