Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine bought a Super Glide this past weekend. Upon first seeing it, I couldn't really tell what it was. The thing that was confusing me was that it appeared to have a wide glide front end with sportster front tire. It looked like a hybrid. When did the super glide go to the wide glide front end or am I just not seeing it properly or did it always have the wide glide forks. I haven't been around a super glide in a while so I may have missed or forgot something.

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
It is a Wide Glide ! All of those are based on the Dyna model line.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a Wide Glide ! All of those are based on the Dyna model line.
My buddy says it is a super glide and the paper work says it is a super glide, it has hs the typical speedometer console you generaly see on a super glide but has a wg forks and a sporty front tire. I can generally tell the dynas (other than wg) apart but, this one threw me.

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
What does the rear fender look like ? The Wide Glide has the bobbed rear fender. Otherwise the previous owner may have put the wide front kit on the bike.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rear fender looks like a typical sg fender. I know the wg went to the bobber fender in later years. It does not have the rake of a wg. I was just curious if the sg went to the wg forks. Otherwise it has to be a hybrid.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,774 Posts
I agree with Schmidty. It sounds like the PO put a wide glide front on it.

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
Sounds like the bike has a custom front fork setup.
Pics would be helpful !

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was at the HD dealer yesterday and ask the sales manager about the topic at issue here. He told me the super glide went to a wide glide type front end in 2006 or 7. He had a super glide and a wide glide sitting side by side and showed me the difference. The super glide does have a much wider set up and has thicker tubes than it use to have but it is not as wide as the wide glide.

·
Retired citizen
23,193 Posts
Okay, the one your friend's got has the 41mm fork tubes with the 19" tire. That's not the Wide Glide front end. The Wide Glide had 39mm 3" extended fork tubes and a 21" tire plus the bobbed rear fender with forward controls etc.
Anyways, sounds like you've got it figured out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 05 super glide and the front fender is pretty much the same as our 2010 wide glide. It is the wide glide type front fender. It is the original, that I do know. 19inch front tire,.
Want to know what it really is post a photo.

·
gorilla glue tuff
274 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's the mid glide front end your talking about. It's slightly smaller than the wide glide. I personally like the narrow glide front end on the super glide.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts