Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed a very loud clunk/bang noise, mostly sounding like from the lower left side, I'm thinking maybe Compensator Nut. But it normally only does it when riding near the 2,000rpm mark in 5th gear. I thought I had a snap or button slapping on my full face helmet. I can almost feel it in the feet when it banks. It sounds like there is a bolt or something floating loose somewhere, and hitting something, then banking the outer wall....(example of the noise)...
Does not seem to do it when I downshift, or crank up in gear. no loss of power, nor in gearing down. does not do it all the time, but getting more so now.

I am between 100 and 150 miles to my nearest Harley dealer. wondering if it would be safe to ride that far????

2002 Harley Electra Glide Classic. Approximately 15k miles ago I had a new cam kit put in at 31,000 miles. Would I still have to worry about the chain and guides there?

The noise is very loud, and a heavy bang/clunk when it happens.
What to do??:feedback:

·
Just Ride
3,754 Posts
Pull off your outer primary cover and take a look.

·
Retired citizen
24,285 Posts
Make sure the kickstand isn't contacting the frame, there should be a rubber snubber on the frame to prevent contact.
Also if the lower front motor mount is shot the engine case can contact the left frame.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Question : Why is this exact same post, word for word , on three different forums ? :dunno

1 - 7 of 7 Posts