Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my first super slab run of the season, also got my first pucker moment of the season. I think I had it handled as best as possible, but I'd like your opinion. I was running a two laner, heading into a construction zone so the left lane was going to disappear. Dropping my speed keeping my cushion. As always, watching the mirrors. I had this 18 wheeler, coming up way too fast.. I know why he was doing it.. azzhat cagers waiting for the last minute to move over. But it didn't make the situation any safer. I rolled up on the throttle, closed my cushion and kept my eyes peeled on my main escape route, the shoulder is paved and in good shape. But if a cage couldn't stop and did the same thing that would be closed, secondary route was the cones, for the other lane, but I didn't know how far up the construction started. I gotta tell ya, having an 18 wheeler up your rear with no place to go is not a happy place to be.. luckily when we were down to one lane, he backed off. Bad happens fast. Any thoughts?

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,012 Posts
Sounds like you had all of your options checked off but the trucker was not co-operating with your plan. Can't see that there was much else for you to do but be on a super alert status until you got through the area.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Your posting this and you're bike and you are in one piece. Therefore you did what was right. It is still good to talk about to learn from, for us to learn from, but all I'm saying is don't loose sleep over it. You are alive and well so the rest is just speculation and what ifs. It is easy for us to come in and say what you should have done, but we weren't there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.. I did feel I had done what was best in this situation. I think the part that bugs me is I made a decision to put myself at risk, had no choice, its always easy to Monday morning quarterback.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts