Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey,

New here and wanted to see if I could get some suggestions on my bike.

We just got our FIRST new Harley 2008 Ultra Classic.
We would like to put some louder pipes on it and started shopping.

I am finding out it's BIG BUCKS so thought i would try to trim it down some.

Picked out my pipes at HD and found out I need the following parts:

1. SE STAGE 1 KIT FOR EFI MODELS
2. AIR FILTER OEM# 2924
3. SE PRO SUPER TUNER
4. MUFFLER, SLIP ON 95-0

I can put on MUFFLER, AIR FILTER,and STAGE 1 KIT

How hard is it to do the super tuner install and can I do it myself ?

Has anyone done this install ....(I would like to save the labor cost)

Thx Arnie

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't want to "add insult to injury" but - what about the dyno tuning? It will certainly let you get the most out of these modifications.:USA:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Steven,

But this is a new bike off showroom floor less than 2000 miles that we put on it.

It runs great just want to add a set of Rinehart slip on mufflers not sure why I would need the Dyno???
Trying to save some money

Thx Arnie

·
Registered
39,569 Posts
To get the air fuel ratio set properly. They come lean from the factory due to epa requirements. Add a less restrictive air cleaner assembly and exhaust would make it even leaner yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Steven and Kainam,

Thanks man I am new at this so trying to learn,you guys got me on track so thanks.
Just trying to save as much as i can This SHIT cost so much its crazy.....

·
blk bassani thunder
1,248 Posts
Arnie, Cheap is never in the world of owning a Harley. The only way to save money is not to modify at all. Like the other guys said dyno tuning is going to help tune your bike right with your new mods and you will enjoy it even more when everything is running right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Arnie,

If you're going to be touring with your Ultra, I might not go with the SERT just yet. I had that exact setup done on my '09, and am considering dumping the SERT to go with a closed-loop system (PCV + AT for me).

I just completed a 1000+ mile trip to Ontario this last weekend, and found that the SERT didn't quite handle the difference in altitude and temperature on the trip. I've got a post in the SERT forum where I'm hoping to find out more... keep an eye on that forum too.

Overall, I LOVE the Rinehart slip-ons and the SE Stage 1 Air Intake.

Good advice, though, on the dyno. The original map they got from HD wasn't right... it was still about 15% too lean. The local tuner had to tweak it some more to get the map right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what I've read on these posts finding a good tuner is the most important thing when using the SERT. I instaled some vance and hines slip ons, a cobra fuel tuner and a arlen ness big sucker on my 08 FLHX and it'll run ya right up to 90mph just fine. You'll drop some fuel mileage but that is to be expected.

·
The Northern Redneck
7,170 Posts
Look at the Thundermax...It's a wideband Closed loop system....You remove the stock ECM out of your bike and run the Thundermax....For older bikes without sensors in the exhaust you can either put late pipes on with the sensor bungs or have the bungs heliarc welded to your old pipes...This system adjusts to any modifications you do to your motor as it read the exhaust mix constantly and automatically adjusts the mixture to any situation...It automatically adjusts to change in altitude and puts your mix at I believe a 14>1 ratio...The nice thing is you never have to re Map your bike if you change parts,,ex: cams, heads, pipes, intake...It compensates automatically...I am looking into going to a gear drive cam setup on my 05 TC 88 and I am currently using a Powercommander USB lll...with it that means a re Map or Dyno tune...costing a fistfull of money..In the long run the Thundermax which costs around $800 will end up being the best deal as I'll never have to mess with the Map change again...and my scoot will be running in a perfect tune all the time...I talked to Dynojet a couple of weeks ago about my Powercommander and Maps to make mine run better...they said the 04 Map that is downloaded in mine is the best they have to offer now...So I think I'm going to look into the Thundermax system, (It was recommended to me by a close friend that runs a mobile Harley repair business in Southern CA,,,He has an incredible background in computers and software systems...)His website is www.mobilecycleservice.com and his name is Matt Sanna...yYou can Email him with questions through his site....The web address for Thundermax is... http://www.thunder-max.com/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts