Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I am new to Harleys and have not rode in years. I have a 86 883 with straight pipes and s&s carb. I have searched the Internet trying to figure out the issue. So going to ask here.

Everything seems good while at idle and while in 3rd and 4th gear. In 1st and 2nd it feels like it is losing power and gain power worst in first. I stay in 1st to around 20 to 25 and still feel the little surges. Looking for some ideas to check. Thanks for any advice it advance.

John

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Johnnie, welcome to the forum. Make sure to head to the new members section and give us an into so we can get to know you and your ride.

As far as this issue, have you cleaned your fuel filter? I had the same issue in my dad's 04 883, just would not work in first or 2nd. Took the petcock out and there was a bunch of trash in tank. once we got it out, she ran just fine.

·
Pork Jockey
7,416 Posts
X 2 on what Sprorty Tex said.

If that doesn't work, you might give your carb a good cleaning.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Sounds like dirty slow sped jets and circuits in the carburetor. Best bet is to remove and thoroughly clean it.

Make sure there sure no vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
if you do find a bunch of trash in the petcock, take the time and take tank off the bike, and clean the tank out. pour a little gas in the cap and let it run out the hole for petcock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts