Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep thinking about chrome lowers. I have installed Progressive springs in my forks last November. How much harder is it to do a complete tear down and swap? Any tips and tricks? I do have a service manual.

·
Registered
39,566 Posts
Easy. Just time consuming, couple hours.

Look for the fork seal replacement video from dilbert's garage on youtube.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You were 90 percent of the way there with your spring job.

·
On the loose
8,698 Posts
Kainam sent me that video that I sent you from Delboys garage , after watching that I waffled back and forth and finally decided do mine myself , if you can put springs in thats the hardest part of the whole job.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
Agree with everyone else. Just take your time and all should go well. An impact wrench is helpful in removing the damper bolt in the bottom of the forks as well.

·
Done
4,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may buy the HD premium ride fork guts and the HD chrome lowers kit. Then I can build these up and just swap later. Pricey. I have been looking at a few places that do the swap with your lowers for used ones they have chromed. I hate to spend the cash on the HD kits, but, I like the thought of new components also.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
All the components should be good. Get a fork rebuild kit and it will come with all the parts that may wear, minus the damper bolts and the small copper washers that go with them. If you like your current springs, I wouldn't buy all new stuff. Save that $$ for ES.

·
On the loose
8,698 Posts
I agree save some money , that lower kit is $550 ,those mono tubes are pretty pricey too.

If you go with the exchange chrome lowers , 2 rebuild kits , chrome cowbells , and a little fork oil you save an easy $250. My kit included the copper washers too.

Just break your fork caps loose before you pull the forks with the top pinch bolt loose , likewise crack the damper bolts before you pull the springs.

·
South GA Redneck
3,898 Posts
I agree save some money , that lower kit is $550 ,those mono tubes are pretty pricey too.

If you go with the exchange chrome lowers , 2 rebuild kits , chrome cowbells , and a little fork oil you save an easy $250. My kit included the copper washers too.

Just break your fork caps loose before you pull the forks with the top pinch bolt loose , likewise crack the damper bolts before you pull the springs.
Very good tips duce!!:thumbup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts