Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you tend to ride your bike hard PLEASE look at the photos of a crack in my swingarm. I found one day while washing my bike.:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Joe,

Send me the specifics on the bike, I may be able to get you one cheap. One of the local dealers does alot of Trike Conversions and have parts sitting around from those chop jobs.

RJ

·
Registered
679 Posts
Oh my.....:bat

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rj- I have a killer fabricator, I use for welding and custom fab. He hooked it up. I put it back on so quick. That I didnt get to take any pics of the primo repair and additionall bracing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is that shock mount aftermarket? If so then it's obvious why it broke, the fulcrum point was moved and it put maximum load on the weakest part of the swingarm. If that's factory then H-D needs to have a look because that's someting the NTSB would be VERY interested in.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A/M lowering kit. Sold by White brothers. Thousands of them out there. Do you think its the product or the rider?
My bike is running a 124" S&S motor. Hundreds of nasty burnouts and dragstrip runs.
Did you ever see the picture of me standing on the seat with the kickstand down, smoking down the tire?
I would tend to agree with the folkum theory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A/M lowering kit. Sold by White brothers. Thousands of them out there. Do you think its the product or the rider?
My bike is running a 124" S&S motor. Hundreds of nasty burnouts and dragstrip runs.
Did you ever see the picture of me standing on the seat with the kickstand down, smoking down the tire?
I would tend to agree with the folkum theory.
Obviously a combination of geometry and rider :D

Glad you got it fixed before it left you on the side of the road.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put my name in to do the durability testing for HD.

·
Registered
6 Posts
MJW is right. Stay away from those "Cheap" lowering kits. It would have not failed if the shock was pinned where HD designed it. The other problem is they lower your bike but still allow full stock shock travel. That means with any kind of load you will bottom the fender on the tire when you hit a dip.

·
Tire Killer
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have over 60k miles on this bike set up the way it is. I ride the bike on the stiffest shock settings. I weigh 155# So bottoming out is not a problem. That has been the only problem so far.
For how I ride it is a blessing!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Apparently something wasn't right!
You are not a heavy guy, I'm 275. That's heavy.
Burn outs by the thousands shouldn't break a swingarm IMO.
I'm thinking it is the design of the lowering kit, but, just in case I'm wrong, I'll be keeping an eye on mine!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Beg to differ with you all

My business is suspension. The pre 2002 swing arms are prone to fail in the exact same place. The bracket or burnouts have nothing to do with it. For a cheap and easy fix, I make Delrin® bushings for the 2002 to present swing arms which eliminates the need to bore & ream out your transmission for the 5/8” original hole for the ¾” pivot shaft needed for the 2002< swing arm. I believe the problem lies with the axle shaft and no support either on the outside or inside. I have many pictures of this problem. Go here to observe the problem. Get a new swingarm, upgrade to 1" axle bearings and be done with the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you tend to ride your bike hard PLEASE look at the photos of a crack in my swingarm. I found one day while washing my bike.:confused:
I think that happened because you have lowered your shocks and because your shocks have moved the angle in which they work they have been pulling instead of compressing hence it’s pulled away at you’re weld joints 🤔

1 - 17 of 17 Posts