Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I've noticed that I'm very curious about. It seems like almost every HD dealer I've visited, and on "motorcycle for sale" websites all over the internet, there are lots of 1 year old Switchbacks, with less than 2,000 miles, that have already been traded in for something else. The dealers in my area have at least a dozen one year old Switchbacks in their used bike area. What's the deal with them being traded in so quickly? Are people that bought them that anxious to get rid of them? This is a serious question as I was looking at possibly buying one in the Spring.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Or.... Are they just upgrading to this years Switchback because they are just that good?

Honestly, I think what most people are doing is getting the Switchback because of the saddlebags and windshield as a starter and then after a year they are trading them in on the larger touring models with more space and comfort. If you will notice, there are always a ton of used Sportsters for sale too. Same reason, people start out on a smaller bike and then after a while they decide they are ready for the next step.

I personally love the Switchback. I think it's a great combo of Dyna and touring.

-Rohan

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
The problem with the Switchback it is either a sort of bulky cruiser or a small touring bike. Not really the best of either.

If I was going to be riding my bike mainly on long trips I'd have a "real" touring bike. But I'm not so I have a "real" cruiser (SuperGlide Custom). And that SuperGlide is perfectly capable of taking me on the occasional long trip.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
VIBRATION , VIBRATION ,vibration !
That is why I think you see so many traded in for something else .
But hey , thats just me .

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own a Switchback. Have had it for about 2 months now. I went to the dealership to trade my Softail for a used Road King and road off on the Switchback. There have been a few moments when I've caught myself staring at a Road King thinking about trading in for one but truth is the Switchback is the perfect bike for me. The thing that I think is hardest for people is getting over the fact that it is not a touring bike like we think about them today. Few people appreciate that it is a throwback to the Duo-Glide. Let's face it though, the Road King is the standard. Lots of people dream of a Road King and settle for the Switchback because of the price.

·
Registered
870 Posts
VIBRATION , VIBRATION ,vibration !
That is why I think you see so many traded in for something else .
But hey , thats just me .
+1

I demoed the Switchback a couple times.

Standing there looking at it I was really really tempted.

But each time I rode it I just couldn't get over the vibration at about 70mph, and I know there is a service bulletin in regard to changing the muffler to reduce vibration.

I found a used Street Glide just suited me better.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I bought a 2013 Super Glide last October. My brother was really trying to get me to buy a Switchback, but I just couldn't and didn't want to for a couple reasons. Now that I've been riding for awhile there are times I would really like a Road King. To me it wouldn't make much sense to buy a Switchback unless you just wanted a smaller bike as the it doesn't cost much less than the King if you really look at the numbers.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Its a nice bike. It is a in between bike. Its not a cruiser, its not a touring bike. Im sure people buying them might of wanted best of both worlds to come to find out they only wanted one or the other. I had a Fat Boy for eight years. In those years I put on saddle bags and windshield. I tried to turn it into a touring bike. It was a Fat Boy. It never became a touring bike and it lost it's look of a cruiser. I got a Street Glide. I don't think Harley would sell a bike out of the factory that vibrated too much.

·
Turgid Member
1,248 Posts
I only saw one used Switchback at the local HD dealer last Saturday and this one is the highest volume dealers in the state. Looking at their used inventory one would say there's more "Electra Glide" regret. The lot was a sea of late model touring bikes with less than 10k miles on them. What's that all bout? Next would be Wide Glides followed by Heritage Softys and Sportsters.

·
Banned
681 Posts
The lot was a sea of late model touring bikes with less than 10k miles on them. What's that all bout?
Just judging from my experience I would guess it's about a bunch of people thinking they need a "real" Harley tourer with all the bells and whistles and then finding it was just too big & heavy to be comfortable with. I swapped a perfectly good FXRS-C for a Road King for all the reasons I see quoted on this forum. I tried to get used to it for 8 years but finally realised that it was just too heavy for the sort of riding I did most of the time and a liability when loaded up with the wife and camping gear for the occasional weekend away. Sadly I couldn't get my FXR back so I had to settle for a Low Rider. What I really wanted was a Dyna with bags and a screen so I was upset when I heard they had launched the Switchback not long after. However, for me the thing is spoiled by the ugly front fender and the tiny bags - no use for anything serious and from what I read they have a habit of falling off! Now I have Leatherpros and a screen on the Low Rider and it's as good as it gets as an all-rounder.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have 10K on my switchback and loved every mile. I have not had any vibration issues. Gonna ride to Utah in august, something i would not have done on my fxdc.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
I'm just in awe that a new Dyna model has that bad of a vibration... When I had my 2011 WG I took it up to 90 mph on the interstate and didn't feel a thing. You would think there wouldn't be any difference.

-Rohan

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
All the Dynas I've ridden have a rough spot around 2700-2800 RPM but they are not as smooth as a touring bike at any point. I'm wondering if the vibration that SB riders are getting doesn't have something to do with the bag design.

·
Aaaaayyyyy
897 Posts
I have 32k miles on my 2012 Switchback. I don't notice any undue vibrations and my bags have never fallen off. I just spent the past week riding through the mountains in Colorado without any issues. She handled great over the Trailridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park up at heights of 12k above sea level.

It's not a bulky cruiser when you take off the bags - which is exactly how it is designed. How many people get a dyna and then slap bags & windscreen on them? Lots do. This one just cam from the MoCo with those pre-installed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts