Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not oil temperature. A riding buddy got that gauge face thingymabob. Conventional oil temps was 210ish, engine temps was 414-418.

Switch to synthetic oil. Oil temps 195ish, engine temps. i would put a dramatic pause here but that is kind of hard to do in written form so deal for a second here. Everyone raves over 10-15 cooler temps at 300% the price over comventional oils the synthetics provide. Lower oil temp, more uniform molecules, less friction and so on. Well he was set a little back when his engine temps also read 414-418 despite slightly cooler oil temps.

First evidence I have seen for this. Keep in mind this is not dyno numbers or short runs to the local stop and rob. We are talking on the road city traffic to find some new curves and hills to run, running an hour on the road results. Not some lab setting under controled settings where any number can be fabricated. Since we all spend our time on our bikes on the road and not on a dyno or a lab then what advantage other than lower oil temps does it give. It dont reduce combustion byproducts, acids and such.

If these synthetic oil companies claim cooler engine temps it looks to me to be a lie. If so why shold the rest of their claims be trusted? And no he is not running a severly cracked group 3. Runs one of them group 5 oils that per the msds has mearly the same flash point as the conventional I run.

Not saying one way or the other. All Im saying is real world use does not jive with lab 'results' claims. Last I checked we dont ride our bikes in a lab. The money saved not buying synthetic oil gets me over 100 miles on the road.

Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I am running Amsoil right now and I can't wait to get it out. The engine is considerably noisier. It may or may not run cooler and it may or may not have less friciton but the noise is bothersome to me.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Most of those engine temp. gauges read Head temp. There's very little oil to cool the head from the constant combustion cycles, hence the small decrease in temp. Harley has submitted a patent for oil cooled heads, will we ever see them in production? He did show a pretty good temp. decrease in the oil. I don't use synthetic oil because of the claim that it REDUCES temperatures, I use it because it can hold up better to high temperatures without breaking down.
OMG, I'm replying to an oil thread!!! :spank: me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most of those engine temp. gauges read Head temp. There's very little oil to cool the head from the constant combustion cycles, hence the small decrease in temp. Harley has submitted a patent for oil cooled heads, will we ever see them in production? He did show a pretty good temp. decrease in the oil. I don't use synthetic oil because of the claim that it REDUCES temperatures, I use it because it can hold up better to high temperatures without breaking down.
OMG, I'm replying to an oil thread!!! :spank: me.
Its more of an engine temp thread than oil thread. As to the holds up better to heat. When I replaced topend gaskets and cracked open the rocker covers there was plenty of little pools of oil up there. It sat in 418F temps till it cooled down. Them little pools looked like the oil in the bag that was 200F cooler. I dont buy that claim one bit. The parts still had a real good film of oil on them, even after sitting a week before I had the time to do the work.

Maybe 30 years ago the better heat stability was true, not today as I have seen with my own eyes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He has this thing you hook up to the bike that displays engine information on his iphone when he hooks it up to the bike. My guess is it displays the head temp from that sensor. Just a guess. So its going to be pretty high.

Im just a rubber to the road kind of guy. I am not impressed by lab tests or (manufactured) results. So thats what I posted. Rubber to the road experiences, or my buddies I should say. My biggest concern this weekend was breaking in the new tires. Its supposed to rain all week and riding on new tires in the rain is not normaly a good thing.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am no rocket scientist, but most internal combustion engines don't run at temperatures like that; my knowledge is limited but to my knowledge no motorcycle or car engine will run at temperatures like that. I have taken an infra red temp gun to many internal combustion engines and the only place you see those kind of temperatures is where the head pipe goes into the exhaust port.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Ring, Ring: "hello",,, hey DUDE this is your bike calling, I'm hot as hell and need a drink of 93. While we're talking gas, how 'bout you quit passin' so much on my seat?
:eek:uttahere:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am no rocket scientist, but most internal combustion engines don't run at temperatures like that; my knowledge is limited but to my knowledge no motorcycle or car engine will run at temperatures like that. I have taken an infra red temp gun to many internal combustion engines and the only place you see those kind of temperatures is where the head pipe goes into the exhaust port.
I have seen them things used, only bad thing about its use is it can not read the temp inside, like the sensor does. Maybe we need to inform Harley they need to switch up how the sensor reads the temp to provide information to the ECU.

Oh man, I just did a quick search right here on this forum and guess what I found.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/sportster-general-discussions/43307-head-temperature-08-1200-sportster.html

Looks like sportsters run pretty consistent head temps. Pretty much tells me Im right in reporting my buddies head temp.

Looks like synthetic oil will not run an engine cooler, just the oil runs cooler, maybe it runs through the engine fast enough to not pick heat up, who knows. Ayways looks like someone needs to tell these fellas them temps are wrong.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have seen them things used, only bad thing about its use is it can not read the temp inside, like the sensor does. Maybe we need to inform Harley they need to switch up how the sensor reads the temp to provide information to the ECU.

Oh man, I just did a quick search right here on this forum and guess what I found.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/sportster-general-discussions/43307-head-temperature-08-1200-sportster.html

Looks like sportsters run pretty consistent head temps. Pretty much tells me Im right in reporting my buddies head temp.

Looks like synthetic oil will not run an engine cooler, just the oil runs cooler, maybe it runs through the engine fast enough to not pick heat up, who knows. Ayways looks like someone needs to tell these fellas them temps are wrong.

Agreed that the flame in the combustion chamber is not what I read with a temp gun.

If you shoot the exhaust pipe where it goes in the head you can read temps like that on any internal combustion engine.

But if the engine as a whole reaches that temperature, or if the heads as a whole reach that temperature, you will have a seized up paper weight.

I wasn't much of a synthetic believer, but I zapped the heads on my 2012 FXDC with conventional and synthetic, and the heads were 15-20 degrees cooler.

All being the same the flame in the combustion chamber will always burn at about the same temperature. If the engine is running properly, no oil will cool that down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts