Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
SoundMan
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the consensus is on how many miles you guys wait until you do a synthetic oil change on your Sportys? I know 3000 miles is the norm for conventional oil, but I waited till almost 5000 miles to change my synthetic oil. Is that bad?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I do 5,000 with Mobil1 V-twin. I have two friends that go 10K between
changes with Mobil1. One has 90K on his '04, the other has 40K on his '07. That's too far for my comfort.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Stay with the synthetic. 5000 miles would be appropriate. Even Dino oil would be 5000 miles between changes after the first change at 1000 miles.some people change every year or every 5000 miles whichever comes first. If you're going to change yearly I would suggest after the end of the summer riding season as to get rid of all of the contaminants and sulfur deposits as a production of combustion.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Since I don't do 5k a year I do it once a year before the temp rises usually late April to mid may.
I still like to have fresh oil in the crankcase after the end of the riding season, which is why I change it in the late fall otherwise you have the whole summer's deposit's sitting in the crankcase all winter long (a good six months for bad chemical reactions to occur.

I was taught to do the same thing with the diesel engine in the sailboat even when I only used the engine for less than 1000 miles over the summer. Change the oil to fresh at the end of the season. The clean oil can sit in the motorcycle just as well as can in the can on the shelf and keep the engine clean for the 6 months of downtime. No chemical reaction with the deposits in the old oil in the inside of the engine and crankcase while it sits idle for those six months.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
have a friend who refuses to change it in the fall- says it turns bad just from sitting- so i said its still better to have clean oil sitting all winter and if your worried spend for a spring oil change-

cant see letting crud just settle everyplace

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
A lot depends on how the bike is ridden. Syn or reg oil lasts a lot longer if it's ridden enough, regularly to keep moisture evaporated out. 10 k isn't unreasonable for a good synthetic. Regardless of mileage, change one a year.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
The filters begin to clog and bypass particulates well before the oil breaks down to any degree. I wouldn't push much past 5k for that reason.

If you can filter the oil, synthetic can last a very long time. You can rig a truck motor with a two stage filtering system and run Amsoil 40-50k with no worries.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I guess I'm old school I change mine every 3,000 unless I'm on a trip. Then I will go around 5,000 or so.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,983 Posts
If you can filter the oil, synthetic can last a very long time. You can rig a truck motor with a two stage filtering system and run Amsoil 40-50k with no worries.

Have to be careful with today's trucks though. With the DPF, it's not uncommon to get a certain amount of fuel dilution. I wouldn't just add an extra filter and extend my mileage without doing several UOA and slowly moving to an extended change interval.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
have a friend who refuses to change it in the fall- says it turns bad just from sitting- so i said its still better to have clean oil sitting all winter and if your worried spend for a spring oil change-

cant see letting crud just settle everyplace
It wont go bad sitting in the bike over the winter unless you make the mistake of starting it every once in a while, but not letting it get hot enough to burn off any condensation that may have developed.

Running it too short will mix any moisture into the oil and that would cause problems. Including rust if there are appropriate metals exposed to the moisture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts